What will happen when our pets become critically endangered?

Are you worried about our pets becoming endangered?

• Yes

Votes: 307 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 198 39.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is so much knowing what you are talking about.

A well educated friend of mine is ‘convinced’ that climate change is a hoax. Maybe not cooked up by the Chinese, but a hoax nonetheless. His rationale .... went outside this morning and it was cooler than the historical average. I’ve attempted to explain the difference between climate and weather ..... without affect apparently.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Global warming isn't going to be the death of mankind or corals.

Fukushima - March 11, 2011. The clock has already started.......

(just one mans opinion)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would like to see a counterproductive measure. So that we can continue to enjoy this Hobby in our own lifetime

Yes, and not just in our lifetime.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well educated friend of mine is ‘convinced’ that climate change is a hoax. Maybe not cooked up by the Chinese, but a hoax nonetheless. His rationale .... went outside this morning and it was cooler than the historical average. I’ve attempted to explain the difference between climate and weather ..... without effect apparently.
I grew up with a guy who became a meteorologist. And he tells me that our planet has undergone many changes over many many years. So climate change is inevitable, despite the fact that we may accelerate it in some terms. But the point is that no matter what, the planet undergoes changes. Our short time here is a very irrelevant example of what happens to the Earth.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, so much in fact that I'm working on a series of inventions designed to help the populations of several fish including dragonets, pipefish, seahorses, and a few others.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm concerned, the natural changes in our environment take thousands of years. However with our intervention, meaning pollution and such we can accelerate certain degenerative qualities rather quickly. It is important that we acknowledge our own impact on the ecosystem. Because the impact that we accelerate happens much faster than which would naturally happen. In other words it could take hundreds or thousands of years for climate to affect the reefs. But it only takes us less than a hundred years of careless practices to affect the reef.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do folks think of fish and corals as pets? My dog is a pet, but I think of my reef tank as an ecosystem, a slice of nature. Maybe it’s just unsentimental me.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do folks think of fish and corals as pets? My dog is a pet, but I think of my reef tank as an ecosystem, a slice of nature. Maybe it’s just unsentimental me.
That is a good question. Think of it like this. You either have a personal pet that lives in your home. Or you have a global pet which lives in the ocean. Sometimes they fall into both categories.

All of the Creations are our pets. In short you will not have pets if you cannot preserve them in the wild. Hence the topic of this thread.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to start a debate about global warming since it a mainstream established fact. But, in addition to this, humans pose multiple threats to our ecosystem and wildlife. Pollution, loss of habitat, unnatural ecosystem changes, invasive species, and others all threaten the worlds coral reefs. The World Wildlife Fund has just come out with the statistic that, of all monitored wildlife species, their populations are reduced buy 60% due to human activities, IN THE LAST 40 YEARS. This fact I found to be chilling to the bone. With more frequent and worse bleaching events predicted, I’m fearful that everything we have in our tanks will become endangered, possibly in our lifetimes. My local fish store is actually initiating a “homegrown project” to buy and sell locally propagated corals to reduce reliance on imports. The recent Indonesian ban is foreshadowing the future of our hobby.

Given these revelations, when I look at my reef, I have a greater sense of responsibility, and am starting to think in much longer terms. I have very young family members who may never have the opportunity to see these creatures in the wild. They will also be the generation who has to deal with the consequences of our societies actions.

I was wondering if others here are also suffering this long term sense of dread?
"I don’t want to start a debate about global warming since it a mainstream established fact." Umm... then don't start one...

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see the differential between keeping mammals as pets,and considering fish as a secondary type of pet if you will. But they are still both animals. So I do believe it is somewhat insensitive to consider them as unequal if you will.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because your fish cannot fetch a ball, does not mean that is not worthy of great care

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each creature is created equally and deserve the same respect

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we abuse the practice involved in these creatures we may someday never be able to have them. That was kind of the point of this thread

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one year or a little more left on this Earth.
My goal is to get a reef setup and make it beautiful before I go, so before you guys argue or tell each other how to think..... Just ask yourself what you would do if you really were going to be going away?.....I can tell you that I am scared but I NEVER will give up on our beautiful planet or the things that live on it. I see life so much different that I did before and want everyone here to be able to do what it takes make sure nothing ever happens to our little piece of the ocean. Whether is from home grown goodness to the down and dirty beautiful Aquiculturist we will find a way to save what we got by working together.

Sorry for the rant,
Matt

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one year or a little more left on this Earth.
My goal is to get a reef setup and make it beautiful before I go, so before you guys argue or tell each other how to think..... Just ask yourself what you would do if you really were going to be going away?.....I can tell you that I am scared but I NEVER will give up on our beautiful planet or the things that live on it. I see life so much different that I did before and want everyone here to be able to do what it takes make sure nothing ever happens to our little piece of the ocean. Whether is from home grown goodness to the down and dirty beautiful Aquiculturist we will find a way to save what we got by working together.

Sorry for the rant,
Matt
You just hang on to that thought Matt. Life may have many things in store for you. As long as your heart is in the right direction and you have a self preservation in respect to yourself, I feel like you will be fine. [emoji106]

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to start a debate about global warming since it a mainstream established fact.
global-warming-lts-cold-outside-31093818.png

Reminded me of this lol

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a response to the OP; I'm not worried, per se. I've just accepted that the reefs will die within my lifetime; to me, this is a reality that is unavoidable. Current studies suggest that the damage has already be done and is now irreversible. The only actions we can take is trying to limit the severity of the collapse. Hopefully this ends up being incorrect.

Anyhow, assuming the continued survival of hour hobby, at least those aquatic species will be preserved in our aquaria and can be reintroduced later if we find a solution.

falc

If I die today, I die a happy man.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the things that we do at our house to help protect marine habitat, we support the global efforts to clean up the garbage islands like these around the world and make sure that we are doing everything we can not to contribute to them! We try very hard to reduce our use of single use plastics. We try to make sure we are recycling properly. We avoid products that contain microbeads. We try and limit our aquarium stock to aquacultured or maricultured animals. We also try very hard to only buy seafood from companies that farm raise their stock or practice responsible fishing practices. There is much more that we can all do to protect marine environments starting at home today. I think some of the greatest threats to marine environments may be much more under our individual control. just my two cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%

Back