What will I be able to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Profilux 4 ultimate set two days ago and am eagerly waiting for it to ship out. I was curious about what exactly I’ll be able to do with it, with my current set up. Any ideas would be great. I haven’t started dosing yet but figured this would be a great start to.

I currently have a 65 gallon tank, 30 gallon sump. Return pump is a various 6, I have a eco tech mp40 as my main pump in the tank along with a tunze 6045 Nano stream. I have 2 Jager 200 w heaters as well. I run an Orphek Atlantic v4 and for my skimmer it’s also running an varios 6.
I recently just also purchased a tunze ato.
What extra accessories will I need to run stuff off my Profilux, along with what exactly should i even plug in it? I’m thinking about maybe ordering another power bar as well.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you order the vortech controller?
Can use that to control the vortech mp40.

You may want to think about ordering a float switch as a backup to your tunze. You can never have enough fail safes.

Your going to use:

1 outlet for your return pump
2 outlets for your heater
1 outlet for your skimmer
1 outlet for your ato tied to the optical float switch if it activates it power downs your ato as a extra safety

This leaves you with 1 outlet to control something else and the power always on outlet (Orphek maybe?)

Just some idea's :)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you order the vortech controller?
Can use that to control the vortech mp40.

You may want to think about ordering a float switch as a backup to your tunze. You can never have enough fail safes.

Your going to use:

1 outlet for your return pump
2 outlets for your heater
1 outlet for your skimmer
1 outlet for your ato tied to the optical float switch if it activates it power downs your ato as a extra safety

This leaves you with 1 outlet to control something else and the power always on outlet (Orphek maybe?)

Just some idea's :)
I actually did not order the Vortech controlller. I saw something recently about not being able to control the vectra and figured it was ecotech universally. How exactly do other float switches work? I also have two float switches that get connected to my varios’s I’m thinking of setting one up somehow in my lifereef skimmer to shut the pump off if it overflows.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lifereef skimmer also that is connected to a 5 gallon bucket where I placed the float switch within it and it turns off the skimmer when the 5 gallon bucket is full.

You are correct the vortech controller only does the mp40 and not the vectra.

A float switch when activated send a single to the p4 that it is is closed or open depending on the type of switch.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again,

Was looking over the ghl website and became intrigued by everything on it. I have a few more questions

Now that I have a Profilux 4 on the way, do I look into slave units or standalone units? Does a Profilux make them all slave units regardless?
I’ve nevet dosed before; yet this is the time it seems to start. Does dosing reduce the need for the water changes if not eliminate it?
What would you pick up first? I currently have an ultimate set coming, so a touch, power bar, Profilux 4.

Do I go for a doser ? Would it be best to get the newest 2.1?
Trying to take advantage of the sales and stock up.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 hard question to answer :) if your not dosing today buying a doser may not be a viable option :)

You will stay dosing when your tank begins to consume more nutrients then water changes can offer, or you no longer want to do water changes and want to dose in it place or do automatic water changes with dosing.

Are you doing weekly water changes?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 hard question to answer :) if your not dosing today buying a doser may not be a viable option :)

You will stay dosing when your tank begins to consume more nutrients then water changes can offer, or you no longer want to do water changes and want to dose in it place or do automatic water changes with dosing.

Are you doing weekly water changes?
I tend to stretch my water changes out.. yet don’t really have a huge bio load. 2 clowns, yellow watchman goby and shrimp pair and a dwarf golden moray eel. Usually every 2 weeks. I’d love to learn how to ride to not need to do as frequent water changes and whatnot. I picked up an tunze ato as well for stability. I tend to purchase more than I need initially so that’s why I was curious about dosing. Would I look into the stand alone version of ghl devices or the slaves with the use of the Profilux 4? I’m curious about the float switches as well as the leak detectors. Honestly I Just seem to be falling down the ghl rabbit hole and want to do everything possible.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have the P4 you can go SA, unless you think one day you will no longer use the P4 and want to have the doser work independently with a new brand of controller.

Both of mine are SA that are connected to my P4 I plan not to go anywhere.

The leak detectors are great if you want to shut things down if you have a water leak. Very easy to install and configure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have the P4 you can go SA, unless you think one day you will no longer use the P4 and want to have the doser work independently with a new brand of controller.

Both of mine are SA that are connected to my P4 I plan not to go anywhere.

The leak detectors are great if you want to shut things down if you have a water leak. Very easy to install and configure.

If I purchased the ecotech driver, do I need to still purchase a reeflink or anything of that nature?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not control all echotech products, so for example it does not control a echotech vectra pumps for example.

But if you want to control your mp40 all you need is GHL vortech controller connect the pab cable and begin programming.

On page 4 my switching controller thread I show how I configured mine and the steps so you can see how it works. The reeflink will not be required :)

On page 5 is the second part of the configuration and what you can do with it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers.316106/page-4

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back