What would you change too?

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and I started it a few months ago. I went with the Current Orbit IC. I went with them because I wanted the Loop system they have to run my flow pump and my poerheads with everything elase. The tank was going to be a LPS and softy tank just like my BioCube 32 and I love everything about it. Lately I have been thinking of changing my lighting on it for a couple of reason. I would like to have lighting that can be ran by my Apex and something that is smaller over the top of my tank. I have been thinking as well to maybe having some SPS in this tank because of my BioCube already being full of the LPS and softies that I love.

I have been thinking about the AI Hydra with the arm as well. Im pretty sure that one would be enough for my tank and with the new setting on the Apex can be ran wireless and not have to see the wires ran over the tank, which I really, really love. I would like to know what everyone else thinks and what everyone is running if they have a Reefer 170. I know, I know Kessil, Kessil, Kessil 360. I just want something different. Other then their shimmer I dont care for or about Kessil. I really feel their way over rated. Thanks everyone for you thoughts and ideas.

P.S. Oh and which would you use the 26 or 52?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra 26 will work, but I would go with the 52 just for extra strength because you will eventually really appreciate it once you mix in acros. AI also has the new Nero powerheads, which is cool if you want to match brands up, but personally I don’t care about having every piece of equipment a different brand lol.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is what is driving me crazy. I would love to have the 52 just because I'm the kind of person that thinks bigger is better and always wants the biggest and best. My Reefer 170 is only 24" wide and same front to back. I just really think the 52 would be way over the top for it. And I am wanting more room over the top of the tank as well. GGGRRR I hate making my mind up on things like this. I go back and forth so freaking much it drives me crazy. Took me months to make my mind up on the controller for my tank also.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. The 52 would be overkill in a Reefer 170 IMO. I have 3x Hydra 26s over a Reefer 450 and honestly have had to move some SPS down a bit as they were losing color under such strong lighting. All my favias also bleached but have come back after moving them to shade under an overhang. Those lights are plenty strong.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back