What would you do?

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 120 display with a 40 for a sump. Yesterday I noticed my ato seemed to be running a little too often. Well I checked my tank and found out that my sump was leaking. I put the rock from the sump into a couple of totes. And went about cleaning up and putting together a new sump. Unfortunately I neglected to add water to the totes with the rock until today about 24 hours later. First question will the rock be ok to add back into my sump? My second question has to do with the cure time on silicone. I used ge silicone 1 to add baffles to my new sump. Any idea what a safe cure time would be before I can use the sump? Thanks

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use the rock, at least not all at once and wait as long as possible on sump. Maybe even wash it before use. I always wait 5 days. Go thin with the silicone so it cures in the middle. This happened to me and I just used a spare 10 gallon as a sump for a week

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my sump 60 gal with glass baffles I let it cure 24 hours. As for the LR... dude thats a bummer. First we need more info. How much live rock is still in the system and how long has the tank been set up? If the tank has been running with more LR in the display than your about to add in for a year or more. Id say you maybe ok to add that rock back to your sump. If not or if you just want to play it safe keep it in the tote with a pump, heater and salt water. Watch for ammonia in a few days. If you see ammonia you will need to let it cycle. Better in the tote instead of spiking your tank.

harryball69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-cure the rock. Better safe than sorry. and wait a week on your silicone. wash out u sump use your tank h2o. no smell should b ok.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I was kinda hoping the consensus was going to be slap it all back together and your good to go. But better safe than sorry. I think I have a 20 kicking around. I'll use that for now and wait til at least the weekend.

Back