What your do’s and don’t’ s in the hobby ?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy anything without at minimum 2-3 hrs of research reading on what it is and how to care for it (or use it).

You should know more about the thing you are buying than the Staffer ringing you up at the cash register

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
based on my experience

dont:
trust a reef-safe ich cure
keep tweaking additives to chase param numbers
move magnetic frag racks when sand is caught in between the rack and the glass (doh)

do:
enjoy the hobby even though things don't go 100% your way :)

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, BRS did several hour+ youtube sessions on this topic and they were good for both old reefers and new alike. For folks that have been in the hobby for years it is fun to see that you were not alone.

Here is one...

For me, it is saying that I will take it slow and then an impulse buy (coral, fish, or hardware..) will suck me in.

The second is that you need to love researching the hobby more than appreciating (watching) the life you are caring for.
I feel like I spend 16x times researching, tinkering, testing, building, cleaning, etc as compared to actually enjoying the inhabitants in the tank.

You are so spot on with research part! I find I'm the same. Only 6 months in and I feel like I'd give a marine biologist a run for their money lol!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never put any medications in a tank full of fish.
Never use any chemicals except calcium and alk
Never treat a fish with anything just because it makes you feel better.
Never feed dry foods.
Never start a new tank with dry rock.

Fish will die, you will die, I will die and it's not the end of the world......Well, for us it may be depending on what you believe. :rolleyes:

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do's:
1. Be realistic about your budget
2. Research everything - equipment, livestock, etc.
3. Remember to spend time just looking at your tank every day.

Don'ts:
1. When setting up plumbing, cable management, etc. don't accept what you have as good enough just to get the tank up and running. Take the time to make sure it is right or you'll just be dissatisfied and eventually redo it while the tank is running.
2. Don't get lazy and skimp on maintenance just because things look fine.
3. Don't rely on chemical fixes for tank issues. Identify the cause and eliminate your issue permanently.

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do start tanks with live rock and live sand.
no matter how cool they seem on YouTube don’t expect good customer service from BRS.

Back