what're your thoughts on the condition of my puffer

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his eyes have me wondering and he acts kinda blind, it's not cloudy just sparkly, he eats and swims around the bottom well. was qt for several weeks before going in several days ago.reasearch has a lot of pics with stary eyes and others without it with no real answer. here are some pics and a video, something else I find curious is that all the red areas I have pointed out, are or appear to be in the exact same locations on the other side of his body. pic 1 left eye, pic 4 right eye, pic 2 middle right side of the body, and pic 3 middle left side of the body you get my point I hope. it's making me lean toward a " this is normal" conclusion.
Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

Capture 4.PNG

Capture 5.PNG

Last edited:

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a puffer in a long time, but I kind of remember that not being abnormal (meaning I think i have seen it before) - the blindness is an entirely different thing. good luck.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sparkly eyes are normal (at least in my experience). Not sure about those growths though. If it's eating and happy I wouldn't worry

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes weird sparkly eyes are normal for those puffers... but blindness isn't. maybe i misread, if you are thinking he is going blind because his eyes are sparkly - i wouldn't worry... if he is "blindly" swimming into stuff... that is a different issue.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes weird sparkly eyes are normal for those puffers... but blindness isn't. maybe i misread, if you are thinking he is going blind because his eyes are sparkly - i wouldn't worry... if he is "blindly" swimming into stuff... that is a different issue.
go look at POTM november... you'll see sparkly puffer eyes... and feel better.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers ... have sparkly eyes. That's just a thing for them - and for many, many other fish. Anthias and wrasse are places you'll see that opalescent glow.

The things on the ends of his quills look a bit like Lymphocystis, though I can't guarantee that's what they are, or even that Lymphocystis would present that way in a puffer. Lympho is a virus - there's no cure, but it's a bit like herpes in humans. Not generally a major concern.

~B.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think he’s blind? Porcupines eyes are set wide and they sometimes don’t see food or miss food up close unless they are actively chasing it. They also sometimes surf the glass. Running into things is a different story.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back