Whats A Good RoDi Water Storage Container?

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright So I need a new bucket to hold the water for the auto top off system.
I want the bucket to be tall and not have a huge footprint.
I also want the bucket to be over 12 gallons.

Thanks,
Reed

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a small amount of water like that I found a 20x19x10 glass tank that holds 16.5 gallons. Melevsreef.com - Welcome! can make you a cool acrylic container.

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
talk to a local plumber and see if they have any used brine tanks for a water softener. they come in main different sizes but an avg size is 40g. they are tall and i think they have a small foot print. i have 2 round ones that are 18x14. if you can get used ones just rinse out and fix any holes with silicone and your ready to go.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a car wash or pepsi bottling place and ask for a used container. They are 15 gallons with a 15-18" footprint. They also have the nice screw in tops that fit PVC threads. The soad and wax ones are 100% reef safe with a good rinsing and maybe a little bleach. HDPE containers will not soak up contaminants unless they are petroleum based.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use brute trash cans to store my water .. any kind of plastic tub that has never been used .. cause you dont know what someone else put in it .. n if they did it could wipe out your whole tank in a day ..

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Rubbermaid recycling can, it is like 9" wide x 16" x 30" tall and holds 23 gallons. Got it at Home Depot and added my bulkheads and float valves to control my RO/DI system on and off.

storage001.jpg

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a car wash or pepsi bottling place and ask for a used container. They are 15 gallons with a 15-18" footprint. They also have the nice screw in tops that fit PVC threads. The soad and wax ones are 100% reef safe with a good rinsing and maybe a little bleach. HDPE containers will not soak up contaminants unless they are petroleum based.

I use two of these, one for salt and one for RO/DI. The RO/DI one still smells like root beer syrup ;-). I got mine for $25 and they are 55 gallons.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Rubbermaid recycling can, it is like 9" wide x 16" x 30" tall and holds 23 gallons. Got it at Home Depot and added my bulkheads and float valves to control my RO/DI system on and off.

storage001.jpg

Do you have a build post or any more pics? I would like to build something similar to yours

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't but could probably put something together. Not much to it really. The only problem was the rectangular Rubbermaid bows out of shape when its full so I had to either make a collar out of wood or square tubing that slips up under the rim or place it in an area that confines it so it holds its shape better. Not really much of a problem since I had a spot to place it between my electric hot water heater and a cabinet that was perfect size to hold its shape.

twseal77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info

I use two of these, one for salt and one for RO/DI. The RO/DI one still smells like root beer syrup ;-). I got mine for $25 and they are 55 gallons.

Can you tell me a little more about this? What is it exactly or what do i ask/look for to find one of these? This sounds like a great solution for me as well.

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for food manufacturing companies (particularly bakery suppliers) close to you. They often receive wet ingredients in food grade containers (reef safe) in 55 gallon or smaller sizes that can be cleaned out for our use. They generally throw them away when empty and can be had for cheap or free. I wouldn't use one that contained "propylene glycol" which is a food grade ingredient that is the same chemical as anti-freeze but anything else should clean out safely.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back