What's going on with toadstool?

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed my toadstool looking like it does in the photo, closed and it seems like the base stalk has a hole in it. The toadstool has been in my QT which has been battling GHA and I recently lost a Zoa frag, all others are fairing okay (GSP, mushrooms, cabbage leather), albeit still trying to get nitrates under control as they have been running high.

What would be the recommended steps? Should I frag or leave it alone? Should I move it to higher or lower flow? Any feeding recommendations?

PXL_20231031_235357268.jpg

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step would be to keep the coral underwater.

It’s a leather, they will wilt and look bad during shedding. It’s fine
Yeah, seems like a no-brainer right? I took it out for a more clear picture. The flesh in the base seems like it's receding. I've had the coral shed before but I haven't seen anything quite like this which has raised concern. Nothing out of the ordinary from the picture though?

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something took a chunk out of it. Any crabs?
I do have one emerald crab but the coral is located on a raised eggcrate that I don't think the crab could access... but then again I have seen crabs move in pretty outlandish places so it's possible.

Do you see any signs of infection in the recessed area? Anything I should watch out for? Dips or prophylactic measures or just let it heal?

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I would say it will be fine.

This toadstool was one of my first corals.

This first pic (Toadstool1 - December 2021) is from right after I got it. That rubber band just about fragged that little thing right in half for me. I've learned since then that a tight rubber band is not the way to go!

The second pic (Toadstool2 - February 2023) is during a period that this thing had closed up and stayed closed for well over a month, possibly close to 2 months. You can't see it in this pick really but the base of this thing got very skinny. I thought it was a goner. It looked like most of the base and the top were just going to break right off.

The third pic (Toadstool3 - September 2023) is the most recent pic I have. It went from what it was in February of this year (I had it for over a year at this point) to what it is today.

These things are very hardy. If your water parameters are okay and it has a little light and flow, my opinion is that it will do just fine!

Attachments

• Toadstool1.jpg
    Toadstool1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Toadstool2.jpg
    Toadstool2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Toadstool3.jpg
    Toadstool3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I would say it will be fine.

This toadstool was one of my first corals.

This first pic (Toadstool1 - December 2021) is from right after I got it. That rubber band just about fragged that little thing right in half for me. I've learned since then that a tight rubber band is not the way to go!

The second pic (Toadstool2 - February 2023) is during a period that this thing had closed up and stayed closed for well over a month, possibly close to 2 months. You can't see it in this pick really but the base of this thing got very skinny. I thought it was a goner. It looked like most of the base and the top were just going to break right off.

The third pic (Toadstool3 - September 2023) is the most recent pic I have. It went from what it was in February of this year (I had it for over a year at this point) to what it is today.

These things are very hardy. If your water parameters are okay and it has a little light and flow, my opinion is that it will do just fine!
Thank you for your input! Did you ever notice any changes with the stalk like I'm seeing? Can anybody else weigh in?

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devastating! Just found the emerald crab munching on it!! Does it look like it can heal from this?

Attachments

• PXL_20231102_010812816.jpg
    PXL_20231102_010812816.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20231102_010808252.jpg
    PXL_20231102_010808252.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 47

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Hopefully someone can weigh in but you might be able to “frag” it, kind of starting over. I have NOT done this so don’t take my word, just bumping up the thread cause I like these toadstools!

Unfortunately, that crab will probably keep nipping at it if it’s already been doing that.

Mine didn’t have anything eating it but the stalk at the bottom was thinner than that when it was doing bad and laid over quite a bit. I just left it alone and it just took off all of a sudden.

Good luck, I think it’s salvageable if the crab goes to a new home.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Hopefully someone can weigh in but you might be able to “frag” it, kind of starting over. I have NOT done this so don’t take my word, just bumping up the thread cause I like these toadstools!

Unfortunately, that crab will probably keep nipping at it if it’s already been doing that.

Mine didn’t have anything eating it but the stalk at the bottom was thinner than that when it was doing bad and laid over quite a bit. I just left it alone and it just took off all of a sudden.

Good luck, I think it’s salvageable if the crab goes to a new home.
Thanks for the info, I'll probably put it in the sump of my DT.. was hoping it could help with the GHA which it has but not worth the hassle of losing coral... Hate to move it so quickly with the risk of ich though

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone weighing in? Should I frag it at this point? Or what other methods/recommendations?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back