What's in a name handle wise.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
OrchidMiss is my Instagram name and I'm unoriginal in making new names.
Orchids are my favorite flower and I tend to hoard them, I also have a large orchid tattooed on my L shoulder.
My avatar is just me and my 55g.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ManWithAClam, i had a bunch of clams in my tank at the time but apart from that i didn't put much thought into it since i just wanted an account so i could ask questions but looking back, it sounds kinda dumb and i might change it in the near future, lol.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...... o2manyfish --- Somewhat self explanatory.

Besides heavily populated fish tanks - 130+ fish in my previous 400 and 560g tanks and up to 120 so far in my new 750g.

My house is filled with fish stuff - Carved Octopi, Stained Concrete Floors that look like the ocean, Kitchen tile cut to look like fish scales, fish wall sculptures in front and back yard, handblown glass fish hanging from the ceiling, fish themed party platters, fish figures in the gardens, Glass wall panels with fish embedded in them, Fireplace with a Tile Mosaic Koi Pond, huge Swarovksi fish collection, the list of fish crap in our house goes on and on.

All the colors in the house are in shades of blue and green. The front wall of the our theater is one of those machined wave walls finished in an electric blue.

We have 5 different fish themed clocks hanging in our living room.

Dave B
I would like to check that out, post pics or I'm coming over!

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to dig deep here into the nostalgia.
Narideth is a name I made up for a Neopets critter I had when I was a kid, and it's ended up being a unique ID pretty much everywhere. If there's a Narideth somewhere, it's probably me. My avatar pic is one of my sapphire clowns in my office tank.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Law school, planning to pursue a career in the law. LegalReefer just seemed to fit at the time, and hopefully proves itself true. I'm interested in a lot of the legal aspects of the hobby, the CITES treaty, Lacey Act, restrictions and import/export legal issues surrounding our hobby, and feel like if I make my title as legal guy known I might be able to help out in the hobby and also learn more from other experts.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played video games in college against a couple guys going by Godlike and Chaotic. My roommate and I "anonymously" went up against them with new accounts called unGodlike and unchaotic. Being that it's not a real word I'm regularly able to use it. I even named my little woodworking business Unchaotic Arts.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a mash-up of my alma matter, my degree, and the year I graduated. If you went there, you knew that already, otherwise, it isn't worth knowing :) My avatar is a piece of hot steel sitting on my anvil next to a hammer. Blacksmithing is one of many other hobbies.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a mash-up of my alma matter, my degree, and the year I graduated. If you went there, you knew that already, otherwise, it isn't worth knowing :) My avatar is a piece of hot steel sitting on my anvil next to a hammer. Blacksmithing is one of many other hobbies.
My dad is retiring this year and the whole family is trying to get him to take up blacksmithing for a hobby. I'm a hobby fanatic so I would definitely tinker with it when I had the time.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Law school, planning to pursue a career in the law. LegalReefer just seemed to fit at the time, and hopefully proves itself true. I'm interested in a lot of the legal aspects of the hobby, the CITES treaty, Lacey Act, restrictions and import/export legal issues surrounding our hobby, and feel like if I make my title as legal guy known I might be able to help out in the hobby and also learn more from other experts.
You and @BroccoliFarmer could start up a Legislation/Tax Laws forum on here. Might come with a fancy new badge?!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and @BroccoliFarmer could start up a Legislation/Tax Laws forum on here. Might come with a fancy new badge?!
I actually was starting to write up an article about tax law impacts on the reefing hobby. Specifically around hobby vs business income and what is and is not deductible. As well as the upcoming 1099 changes. Unfortunately, I had a few people really ruin it for every one and i decided 'why put my neck out for people if I am going to get slammed for stating what the law says'. People are unbelievable at times.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually was starting to write up an article about tax law impacts on the reefing hobby. Specifically around hobby vs business income and what is and is not deductible. As well as the upcoming 1099 changes. Unfortunately, I had a few people really ruin it for every one and i decided 'why put my neck out for people if I am going to get slammed for stating what the law says'. People are unbelievable at times.
Are you a practicing attorney doing tax law? I'm a 2L, but I'm interested in Tax, Trust & Estates, and Environmental Law. Not sure what I'll do quite yet, but I do want to somehow work alongside members of the hobby, even if people are generally ungrateful for accurate legal knowledge :grinning-squinting-face:

Interestingly, there seem to be a lot of former attorneys who own LFS's, in my experience. Maybe someday down the line.

Edit: I would love to read a write-up on the tax changes facing the hobby, and what is and isn't deductible! From my understanding any losses would be hobby losses susceptible to 26 USC 183, right? Unless you demonstrate a legitimate business interest and purpose somehow?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you a practicing attorney doing tax law? I'm a 2L, but I'm interested in Tax, Trust & Estates, and Environmental Law. Not sure what I'll do quite yet, but I do want to somehow work alongside members of the hobby, even if people are generally ungrateful for accurate legal knowledge :grinning-squinting-face:

Interestingly, there seem to be a lot of former attorneys who own LFS's, in my experience. Maybe someday down the line.
I am an enrolled agent and a partner at one of the largest accounting firms in the US specializing in tax law regarding partnerships, mutual funds and the taxation of securities. So no, i dont DO tax law, but I interpret and apply it in my profession.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am an enrolled agent and a partner at one of the largest accounting firms in the US specializing in tax law regarding partnerships, mutual funds and the taxation of securities. So no, i dont DO tax law, but I interpret and apply it in my profession.
Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

J/k!

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently taking Partnership Tax, actually reading for class this evening right now! If you have any suggestions on how to synthesize all the info for that area of tax, I'd be all ears. This class is rough

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back