• You, ya NOOB!

Results are only viewable after voting.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dose seachem Eifht Four, which is a buffer and is supposed to help with alkalinity to the best of my knowledge. I don’t stress my levels too much because of how well all the other corals in my tank are doing. I just never had such a rapid decline like I did with this acro.

OK, that's the first thing I'd stop adding to the tank. The second thing I'd do is stop winging it and actually start testing on a regular based (e.g. weekly). If nothing else, you'll at least have a trend line to see where things are going in regard to your parameters over time.

OP
OP
Jesses Nano Reef

Jesses Nano Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, that's the first thing I'd stop adding to the tank. The second thing I'd do is stop winging it and actually start testing on a regular based (e.g. weekly). If nothing else, you'll at least have a trend line to see where things are going in regard to your parameters over time.

I’ve been testing basic levels weekly for about a year now (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphate, PH). Just started testing the next level stuff a few weeks back. I get my levels tested about weekly at the LFS, you’re right though I do need to invest in some at home test kits. I’m relatively new to the hobby.

As for the Eight.Four, stop dosing this because of the Alk levels?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been testing basic levels weekly for about a year now (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphate, PH). Just started testing the next level stuff a few weeks back. I get my levels tested about weekly at the LFS, you’re right though I do need to invest in some at home test kits. I’m relatively new to the hobby.

As for the Eight.Four, stop dosing this because of the Alk levels?

You can drop the ammonia and nitrITE; I'd honestly drop the pH test as well because it looks like you're trying to chase a pH value with the eight.four "buffer" that in reality, is only increasing your alkalinity levels (there isnt much you can do about pH and it isnt worth worrying about 99% of the time). These types of "buffers" rarely lead to anything good for the reef. Drop that and once the alkalinity actually comes down to a value you want to maintain, begin dosing something like sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to maintain it. Focus on tests like salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrATE, and phosphate. Occasionally you see something continue to rise or fall inexplicably which can help you identify a problem. For instance, about six months ago I noticed the magnesium levels were climbing even though I wasnt dosing any. After the first week I didnt pay it much attention because it was pretty much in the margin of error for the test. After two weeks I was starting to think I wasnt crazy. After the third consecutive week of it climbing, I decided to test our salt mix and it was over 1600 freshly mixed (typically 1300-1320).

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drop the ammonia and nitrITE; I'd honestly drop the pH test as well because it looks like you're trying to chase a pH value with the eight.four "buffer" that in reality, is only increasing your alkalinity levels (there isnt much you can do about pH and it isnt worth worrying about 99% of the time). These types of "buffers" rarely lead to anything good for the reef. Drop that and once the alkalinity actually comes down to a value you want to maintain, begin dosing something like sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to maintain it. Focus on tests like salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrATE, and phosphate. Occasionally you see something continue to rise of fall inexplicably which can help you identify a problem. For instance, about six months ago I noticed the magnesium levels were climbing even though I wasnt dosing any. After the first week I didnt pay it much attention because it was pretty much in the margin of error for the test. After two weeks I was starting to think I wasnt crazy. After the third consecutive week of it climbing, I decided to test our salt mix and it was over 1600 freshly mixed (typically 1300-1320).
I tested my ph on Friday for the first time in a year.

OP
OP
Jesses Nano Reef

Jesses Nano Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drop the ammonia and nitrITE; I'd honestly drop the pH test as well because it looks like you're trying to chase a pH value with the eight.four "buffer" that in reality, is only increasing your alkalinity levels (there isnt much you can do about pH and it isnt worth worrying about 99% of the time). These types of "buffers" rarely lead to anything good for the reef. Drop that and once the alkalinity actually comes down to a value you want to maintain, begin dosing something like sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to maintain it. Focus on tests like salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrATE, and phosphate. Occasionally you see something continue to rise of fall inexplicably which can help you identify a problem. For instance, about six months ago I noticed the magnesium levels were climbing even though I wasnt dosing any. After the first week I didnt pay it much attention because it was pretty much in the margin of error for the test. After two weeks I was starting to think I wasnt crazy. After the third consecutive week of it climbing, I decided to test our salt mix and it was over 1600 freshly mixed (typically 1300-1320).

Awesome, I really appreciate the advice. You hit the nail on the head with the PH value.

NorCal Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it’s the NoPox. I carbon dose also, Zeovit, and when my alk was higher around 9.5 I couldn’t keep Acro at all. Now, I have finally gotten my alk lowered to 7 and my Acros Are looking much better. Carbon dosing and high alk doesn’t go well. Just my .02.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with regards to alkalinity you should check your salt mix ( was my problem ) I changed brands and alkalinity dropped accordingly . here is a chart I grabbed off this forum

56217A79-58BC-4255-AD09-BF34DC801F20.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Alk and KH a tad high - Kh to about 8-9 and salinity to 1.026
How is your water movement. Should be good current without blasting them

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drop the ammonia and nitrITE; I'd honestly drop the pH test as well because it looks like you're trying to chase a pH value with the eight.four "buffer" that in reality, is only increasing your alkalinity levels (there isnt much you can do about pH and it isnt worth worrying about 99% of the time). These types of "buffers" rarely lead to anything good for the reef. Drop that and once the alkalinity actually comes down to a value you want to maintain, begin dosing something like sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to maintain it. Focus on tests like salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrATE, and phosphate. Occasionally you see something continue to rise or fall inexplicably which can help you identify a problem. For instance, about six months ago I noticed the magnesium levels were climbing even though I wasnt dosing any. After the first week I didnt pay it much attention because it was pretty much in the margin of error for the test. After two weeks I was starting to think I wasnt crazy. After the third consecutive week of it climbing, I decided to test our salt mix and it was over 1600 freshly mixed (typically 1300-1320).

I agree with EVERYTHING @madweazl wrote and maybe I'd add that ALK levels above 9.5 are tricky. We've all seen some nice reefs running higher, but the rest of the system (lights, flow, nutrient, stability...) are dialed in to support that level.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back