Multiple Stylo frags killed. Please help

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve killed about 3-4 stylophora frags over the last few months and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. The first one I just placed in its location and it started to lose polyps and turn white in spots and was dead in a few days. I thought I bleached it so I placed the second one in a frag rack low and it did ok for a few days and gradually raised it. Same thing happened in the rack eventually. I went even slower with the third one and same thing. Two of them were same morph. The third was a blue one from a different store.

I decided to try one last time as WWC had them on sale and it was a different morph. This time it’s turning white along the side facing the tank after a week in the tank. It’s been low at about 170 par. The side facing my glass in the rack is ok.

My tank is stable and I have other SPS including acros and birds nest growing fine. My ICP last week was all normal. My alk is 8.4, ca 470, mag 1440, ph 8.1 and salt is 35. Phos is stable at 0.05-0.08 and my nitrates hang out around 5 (on Hanna checkers). I have a par meter and was getting 150 par with the rack low and 200 par with the rack high. My par ranges from 200-350 on the rocks. I have high flow in the tank so I’m not sure if the flow might have damaged the frag. It’s strange that the tissue loss is facing the inside of the tank where the flow comes from.

Any insights into what I’m doing wrong?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time it’s turning white along the side facing the tank after a week in the tank. It’s been low at about 170 par. The side facing my glass in the rack is ok.
Sorry for your troubles, sometimes things are frustrating.

What does this mean?
The side facing the tank? I hope the frag is in the tank! Sorry, very dry humor. But I am not understanding.
Generally, they are high par, high flow. Your numbers all look ideal.

What lights do you have? What par meter?

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles, sometimes things are frustrating.

What does this mean?
The side facing the tank? I hope the frag is in the tank! Sorry, very dry humor. But I am not understanding.
Generally, they are high par, high flow. Your numbers all look ideal.

What lights do you have? What par meter?
Haha yes in the tank lol

I have it in a frag rack on the glass. The side that is near the glass that I can see easily looking into tank is fine. The side further from me that faces the middle of the tank is losing tissue/white.

I have a 4 foot tank (reefer 425 xl) with 3 Reefi Uno Pro 2.0s 13 inches over the tank with 90 deg reflectors running the default SPS profile tuned down to par readings to get about 300 at the top of my rocks. I’m using the black apogee par meter plugged into my computer

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes in the tank lol

I have it in a frag rack on the glass. The side that is near the glass that I can see easily looking into tank is fine. The side further from me that faces the middle of the tank is losing tissue/white.

I have a 4 foot tank (reefer 425 xl) with 3 Reefi Uno Pro 2.0s 13 inches over the tank with 90 deg reflectors running the default SPS profile tuned down to par readings to get about 300 at the top of my rocks. I’m using the black apogee par meter plugged into my computer
Hmmm, that's very odd.

I was thinking not enough light but the side toward the glass is doing fine and more light side(facing the source) is bad.
Is it direct powerhead flow there?

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has to be a flow issue or a lighting issue

I have a lot of flow in the tank with 2 MP40s on back wall and 3 gyres (2 on sides of over flow) snd 1 smaller gyre on side glass. All of them are tuned down.

Maybe it’s too much light despite my par meter showing 300 par at top of rocks and 200 at the rack. I’m using a Reefi uno pro 2 and an apogee black sensor par meter. Does that under estimate my light?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has to be a flow issue or a lighting issue

I have a lot of flow in the tank with 2 MP40s on back wall and 3 gyres (2 on sides of over flow) snd 1 smaller gyre on side glass. All of them are tuned down.

Maybe it’s too much light despite my par meter showing 300 par at top of rocks and 200 at the rack. I’m using a Reefi uno pro 2 and an apogee black sensor par meter. Does that under estimate my light?
Not sure on that particular unit.
I do know my parwise shows under the mq510.

At this point, I would turn down the light a tad and see.?
Is the frag still okay on one side?

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. All my sps is dead. I’m just letting the tank sit a few more months and dosing bacteria and will try again slowly in 3-6 months
Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out better for you next time around.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back