What's the best protein skimmer?

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the anticipation of the larger tank i am now looking at skimmers. I currently have a bubble magus Q3 skimmet.skimmer. with some quick research only does up to 100 to 300 litres and I'm increasing to 500 litres plus sump. So what do you guys recommend is a good skimmer to go into a sump? not expensive either preferably....or if I am doing a fish only tank no corals would my current skimmer do ok? Because that would be awesome ;)
Thanks in advance!

Bubble-Magus-Q3-Nano-Hanging-On-Protein-Skimmer-for-marine-tank-100-300L-water.jpg

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to the RO essence 130 on my latest tank and love it. I also have loved Life Reef skimmers as too

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned them all and the NYOS is amazing. The 120 is STRIPPING nutrients from the water where I can't seem to feed enough and it's killing my macro algae. My fish refuse to eat any more food I throw in from overfeeding.

Reef Octo SSS skimmers also get a big shout out for being straight forward, reliable, quiet, and very good.

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the anticipation of the larger tank i am now looking at skimmers. I currently have a bubble magus Q3 skimmet.skimmer. with some quick research only does up to 100 to 300 litres and I'm increasing to 500 litres plus sump. So what do you guys recommend is a good skimmer to go into a sump? not expensive either preferably....or if I am doing a fish only tank no corals would my current skimmer do ok? Because that would be awesome ;)
Thanks in advance!

Bubble-Magus-Q3-Nano-Hanging-On-Protein-Skimmer-for-marine-tank-100-300L-water.jpg
I have zero issues with Bubble Magus. I would/will use them in working tanks.

There used to be a cheaper knock off of them, same everything except the name. Forget what they were called. Chinese Ebay, you can find them.

I’m putting Vertex Omegas in my displays though.

Anything that makes bubbles and makes a head of foam will work. A plastic PVC pipe and an airstone works just fine.

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips for the Octopus, seems to be a very popular one :) now to hunt down a good deal in the UK as its prices over £300 which is over my budget. But maybe I can save and get it soon :)

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips for the Octopus, seems to be a very popular one :) now to hunt down a good deal in the UK as its prices over £300 which is over my budget. But maybe I can save and get it soon :)
Not sure how the used market (craigslist.org) is out in the UK, but sometimes you can find a good deal when someone is getting out of the hobby. Goodluck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back