What's the best T5 bulb combo?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea always personal preference can't hurt to try it and see what you think.

Here is a thread I could find on r2r there are others on other forums but dont want to post them I am sure they are easy to find with a search.

ATI Aquablue Special - Washes out Color?

Okay, that was deja vu. I took advice from that poster a couple years ago and really wasn't happy with the combo and ended up with the same problems with the colors. Last year when I changed them I went a little more white with the blue plus and coral plus bulbs. This year I'm going to go even whiter. The coral plus bulb is supposed to be between the blue plus and the aquablue special. Like I said, I have to buy another six bulbs so I'm experimenting a little.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the abs is washing everything out. If you're looking for more actinic pop the pure actinic would be a good choice. 2 blue plus and 2 pure actinic would look pretty good IMO

Maybe just one pure actinic because you'll be losing a lot of par. Did you look at the videos Pete Polyp?

It's amazing how someone's opinion can later be stated as fact. He had changed his light setup after that.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just one pure actinic because you'll be losing a lot of par. Did you look at the videos Pete Polyp?

It's amazing how someone's opinion can later be stated as fact. He had changed his light setup after that.

He's using metal halide along with the t5. I don't really think the extra par is necessary

blufin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I'll be changing bulbs soon and I'll switch things up and see what happens.
I agree that I've got enough par. They're 2x250w about 6 inches above waterline in a 90g. I'm just looking to get the deeper colors from the corals

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most abs in an 8 bulb I have run is one and had 5 blue and 2 purple bulbs with it and I liked that combo I had good color and growth but I like the coral plus better as a day light bulb better a little bluer. I currently run 5 blue and 3 coral plus and really good color and growth. But I was gonna try another combo someone else suggested 5 blue 1 purple 1coral 1 aqua blue. There are lots of good combos you kinda need to get some extra bulbs and try different ones. As for a 6 bulb combo it was mentioned above I like 4 blue 1 purple 1 coral. Its a great combo. If I was running a softie or lps tank I would do 4 blue 1 coral 1 true actinic. All ati bulbs.ATI North America has bulb combo selection posted somewhere on their website. For different number bulbs and whiter or bluer tanks.

Theo1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just got my first tank, juwel 3ft bow... What 2 light combo would anyone recommend?

RBauer813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*First POST*<br><br>For anyone running multiple a<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">ctinic bulbs be careful. Ive heard and experience minimal coral growth with that light spectrum.&nbsp;<br><br></span>

RBauer813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone running multiple actinic bulbs be cautious. I have experience and heard multiple times that you will experience slow to almost no coral grown running that light spectrum.
(Dont know why my original post got all screwed up)

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most abs in an 8 bulb I have run is one and had 5 blue and 2 purple bulbs with it and I liked that combo I had good color and growth but I like the coral plus better as a day light bulb better a little bluer. I currently run 5 blue and 3 coral plus and really good color and growth. But I was gonna try another combo someone else suggested 5 blue 1 purple 1coral 1 aqua blue. There are lots of good combos you kinda need to get some extra bulbs and try different ones. As for a 6 bulb combo it was mentioned above I like 4 blue 1 purple 1 coral. Its a great combo. If I was running a softie or lps tank I would do 4 blue 1 coral 1 true actinic. All ati bulbs.ATI North America has bulb combo selection posted somewhere on their website. For different number bulbs and whiter or bluer tanks.

I would rather use 2 coral + and 4 blue + over 4 blue +, 1 purple + and 1 coral +. I have used several different six bulb ati combo and I'm just not very happy with the purple +. When I used ABS I had issues with all of my rainbow acan turning solid red or orange. I will admit that having the ABS really made the sps grow somewhat faster. Currently I'm using 3 blue+, 1 coral+, 1 purple+ and one pure actinic. This does produce a very nice color, but I do think changing the purple+ out for a coral+ would result in better growth and color.

caldone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 250w 20k is hip and a 4 bulb t5 fixture with 3 pure actinics and 1 purple
Tank looks great and I get great color and growth

nature786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a 6 bulb combination for my ATI fixture and now I'm more confused than before. That's an awesome video about the bulbs though, I am still wondering what gives best growth to Lps mostly Ancans and then just zoas and palys.

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 bulb ATI FIXTURE. Went from 4 blue plus, 1 purple, and 3 coral plus to 3 blue plus, 1 purp, 1actinic, 1 aquablue special, and 2 coral plus. Sps reef. I changed out all bulbs at once and shocked the corals. So no polyp extension snd some browning. Cant be certain but im pretty sure i dont like this color combo

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back