What's the cheapest lighting system for a reef tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we are answering one of the most popular questions we get regarding lighting: what's the cheapest lighting system for a reef tank?

2' Lighting Options Under $300

Sunlight Supply 24" Sun Blaze T5 HO Lighting Fixture

Kessil A80 Tuna Blue Nano LED Light

AquaIllumination Prime HD Led Module

3' Lighting Options Under $550

88dUEWYOsy0dzHnyTQiAQ7sZ3BQYJtadLUMvkYvs__rvp3r3xTzm0kZpnXW1-_UPZ0ozTwXdoG4dYTw3Y0gu_NPTv7qg6sjrd6oxAytYK7Aac55PjhPXG0BmY3riSqKyIlQzmeRBR52DTRv7UcoaKA757tIAbde2RmeB__ylL9ZZb32NFKnbcOf2v-kINUmJEKeBO1FWg6Oxtf118dOVBMLKMe1MMOolaHk=s0-d-e1-ft
88dUEWYOsy0dzHnyTQiAQ7sZ3BQYJtadLUMvkYvs__rvp3r3xTzm0kZpnXW1-_UPZ0ozTwXdoG4dYTw3Y0gu_NPTv7qg6sjrd6oxAytYK7Aac55PjhPXG0BmY3riSqKyIlQzmeRBR52DTRv7UcoaKA757tIAbde2RmeB__ylL9ZZb32NFKnbcOf2v-kINUmJEKeBO1FWg6Oxtf118dOVBMLKMe1MMOolaHk=s0-d-e1-ft

(2) AquaIllumination Prime HD Led Module

ATI 36" SunPower High Output T5 Light Fixture

Maxspect RAZOR 180 Watt 15K LED

Zetlight ZT-6800A QMaven Series LED

SAVE 10% WITH CODE ZETLIGHT10 TODAY

4' Lighting Options Under $700

Sunlight Supply 48" T5 HO Lighting Fixture

Zetlight ZT-6800A QMaven Series LED
SAVE 10% WITH CODE ZETLIGHT10 TODAY

(2) AquaIllumination Hydra TwentySix HD LED

Last edited:

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a sunblaze 24" 4 bulb from BRS. Very impressed with the build quality and the reflectors look ideal as well. I paid roughly $125 for the fixture plus $80 for ATI bulbs and so far I'm impressed. I'm just setting up my tank so I don't have any growth evidence yet but the light is bright and I'm sure it will do the trick!

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a sunblaze 24" 4 bulb from BRS. Very impressed with the build quality and the reflectors look ideal as well. I paid roughly $125 for the fixture plus $80 for ATI bulbs and so far I'm impressed. I'm just setting up my tank so I don't have any growth evidence yet but the light is bright and I'm sure it will do the trick!

Borrow a PAR meter and dial that fixture in!

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One 46" Aquatic Life XS-UV is under $400 for a 48" tank. They look good, are programmable and are cheaper.

OP
OP
Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video as always, but I'd imagine the cheapest you could do would be natural sunlight from a window or skylight. :)

Touche, lol - good point! I guess the topic was more "affordable" vs "cheapest" and generally focusing on products that we recommend for success... :)

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit surprised you're only discussing the ones that are "branded" in the classical meaning of that word. IMO as with all of the tech stuff u get a lot more variations and options than just buying a razor witha native app.
my pick was somewhat simpler and a lot cheaper:
1) first of all i checked the random internet tops by random sites
2) they mostly bubble about the same 10-20 providers
3) kept on digging the common denominators out of these reviews
4) most of them suggested that chinese LEDs "viparspectra" (http://www.viparspectra.com/goods.php?id=62) have good to great quality for growing corals, but no control apps or options to daisy chain

After that i started thinking how it would be possible to automate that thing with the stuff i have at home on hand. That was pretty straight forward too, have a smart home box called "Fibaro home center" with various additions to it. Long story short you can buy a control box for opening doors, shutting down lights and programming whatever u want on it through z-wave electronic technology.

So now i'm planning to add the RGB controllers to these chinese LED's and daisy chain them this way together. Since my tank is 245g, i'll prolly need 3 of these LED's, currently have just 2.

Once i get that thing set up and tested, will use the similar approach as some of the reefers who mimic the natural course of the sun over their tanks, i.e. turn on the right hand side LED at 20% in the morning, dim them up, slowly, move on to the second LED and finish off the night by dimming them down and shutting off the right ones. Also simple to add moonlight cycles this way.

To my surprise some of the lads have already used fibaro and random LED's for solving these probs and my guess is that it will work very well.

Just to point out - chinese LED's are 160W each and cover 24x24x24", cost 130$ on ebay. The RGB controller costs something like 60$ and you need anything from 1 to 3 of them.

So the thesis is that if the LED's themselves are okay as various bloggers and reviewers state, the control system could be times more flexible and efficient in comparison with 3x more expensive razors.

I mean i've got plenty of time to test that all out, just got the vipar led's 2 weeks ago and i still run only soft coral tank (as my water is still not in tact), but the bottom line stays the same - some chinese cheap magic spiced up with a minimum of DIY and the end result could be much better and cheaper.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back