What's the difference between phytoplankton and phyto feast

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any different difference between phytoplankton and phyto feast please?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any different difference between phytoplankton and phyto feast please?
there are many strains of phytoplankton and phyto feast is simply a brand name that represents a blend of several different strains of phytoplankton is my recollection.

1623797496375.png

OP
OP
D

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are many strains of phytoplankton and phyto feast is simply a brand name that represents a blend of several different strains of phytoplankton is my recollection.

1623797496375.png
thank you very much for your reply and do you know if there is effect of these product to water in reef tank such nitrite, nitrate or phosphate?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends - if "dead" and you are only using it as food for coral and pods, then it will increase your nitrate/phosphate as any excess uneaten food decomposes - same with any kind of food

If dosing live phyto, then it may actually decrease your no3/po4 bc as a live algea-like organism, it will absorb excess no3/po4 and multiple while also provide food for other organisms

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much for your reply and do you know if there is effect of these product to water in reef tank such nitrite, nitrate or phosphate?
at the levels most ppl would dose phyto they aren't a noteable source of PO4 (phosphate) and not a source of nitrites. They may add some level of nitrates if you dose a lot and it goes unused in your tank but don't quote me on that. I'm not the foremost expert on this and I'm learning myself. I culture the Nannochloropsis myself and dose it daily to my tank. There is much discussion surrounding phyto as a nutrient export (NO3 - nitrate) mechanism for your tank as it can photosynthesize and uptake nutrients itself potentially. Lots of discussions on here surrounding that and I encourage you to read up about it. Dead phyto might be a different story but I'm speaking to live phyto. Cool stuff...

OP
OP
D

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are and I need to keep them in refrigeration

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
D

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the levels most ppl would dose phyto they aren't a noteable source of PO4 (phosphate) and not a source of nitrites. They may add some level of nitrates if you dose a lot and it goes unused in your tank but don't quote me on that. I'm not the foremost expert on this and I'm learning myself. I culture the Nannochloropsis myself and dose it daily to my tank. There is much discussion surrounding phyto as a nutrient export (NO3 - nitrate) mechanism for your tank as it can photosynthesize and uptake nutrients itself potentially. Lots of discussions on here surrounding that and I encourage you to read up about it. Dead phyto might be a different story but I'm speaking to live phyto. Cool stuff...
Thanks for your replying Rob and do I need to use both of them or 1 is enough? I am new to this

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replying Rob and do I need to use both of them or 1 is enough? I am new to this
Just use one at a time. I'd' use the reef nutrition if it were me as that's all they do. I've used their products before and they are really well known in the hobby for being experts in Marine algae and microfauna like pods etc. Quality stuff. I'm not bashing sea chem but it's certainly not their sweet spot. Reef nutritions phyto feast is pretty condensed compared to some others so you don't need a whole lot at one time.

OP
OP
D

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use one at a time. I'd' use the reef nutrition if it were me as that's all they do. I've used their products before and they are really well known in the hobby for being experts in Marine algae and microfauna like pods etc. Quality stuff. I'm not bashing sea chem but it's certainly not their sweet spot. Reef nutritions phyto feast is pretty condensed compared to some others so you don't need a whole lot at one time.
Hi Rob, I use Benepets but I just pick up 1st clams and LFS recommended spot feed phyto Feast to small clam, the LFS said the Phyto Feast is different than Phytoplankton, I do not know what the different between 2 of them, that is why I posted my question here to learn, I normally used Phyto Plankton twice a week, not sure but may be the LFS want to sell more product to a clueless guy like me. Thanks Rob

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob, I use Benepets but I just pick up 1st clams and LFS recommended spot feed phyto Feast to small clam, the LFS said the Phyto Feast is different than Phytoplankton, I do not know what the different between 2 of them, that is why I posted my question here to learn, I normally used Phyto Plankton twice a week, not sure but may be the LFS want to sell more product to a clueless guy like me. Thanks Rob
You're welcome! It's just more concentrated like I mentioned but it's literally phytoplankton (several varieties mixed). How big is your clam? I just attended a pod cast the other day and the owner of Pacific East Aquaculture (clam farmers) indicated that spot feeding clams isn't necessary. I've had clams before and currently and never spot feed them. Just broadcast it into your tank... If you're new to clams perhaps you might find this interesting.

OP
OP
D

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for replying, specially Rob, life never stop learning and I just learn lots of new thing's in last 2 hours, Take care all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back