What's the latest and greatest things you've done with your tank today?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hung some new LED's!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434573325.863086.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I went downstairs to do something creative, I don't remember, maybe trim my ear or nose hair and I noticed the carpet around the tank was damp. The tank is in a closet and has sat in this spot, on this home made stand since 1979. I didn't think the tank was leaking because this has happened a few times before. I removed the items from the closet, things like the Super 8 movie projector that we needed to view our wedding movies in 1974, a "dial" phone and an 8 track tape player. If you don't know what any of those things are, Google them and grow up some more.
Inside the closet there was a puddle. There was also a fish in the puddle, a wrasse that I have been looking for, for a week or so. Unfortunately the puddle wasn't deep for the fish to still be alive. Anyway, where is the water coming from? I crawled under the tank, and on my way I checked out the bottom glass of the tank with a flashlight to see the amphipods scurrying away from the light. I think some of them were doing the Macarana. Then a drop of water falls on my bald head and makes a noise. If you are bald, you know the noise. I get to the far stand leg and see that it is extreamly rusty. This is not a surprise because a few years ago I noticed it and bolted another leg to the tank to support the weight. Those legs are made of "Kindorf" which are galvanized steel building supports that we use in construction for everything. But even the heavy galvanizing on Kindorf will not stop rust forever.
The leg was wet and water was slowly oozing down. I removed the dead fish and got up (after hitting my head numerous times) Above the corner of the tank with the water I have my manifold for my Reverse Undergravel filter screwed to the wall. The thing has stand offs to keep it away from the wall but after so many years, salt built up behind it and the wall allowing a slow progression of moisture to run down the wall and leg. This probably has been going on for many years which is why the leg looks like it does. The opposite leg looks like the day I installed it.
I removed the manifold, which I don't ever remember removing and I made longer "stand offs" in back of it to keep it away from the wall and the rim of the tank. I also put a de humidifier in the closet to dry it up before I put all my "valuable" stuff back in. You never know when someone will need a Super 8 movie projector from the 50s

Here is the manifold as it was mounted over the tank. Water is pumped into it and it is split up into 3 tubes that come out the bottom to evenly supply water to all 3 UG filter tubes. (Stop laughing about the reverse UG filter)

This is the thing removed from the tank

And the rusty leg. The "new" leg is the one to the left of it. Someday I will have to empty the tank and install new legs, but I hope that day never comes.

This was the wrasse. I really need to replace this guy and cover the spot that fish seem to enjoy leaping from.

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally mounted my stylo permanently. Can't wait to see how this piece continues to grow, however slowly. I really like the shape and color.

Picture from today:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439150892.512688.jpg

Picture from Feb 1st, 2015:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439151237.480540.jpg

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Jeff,did a 40gal. water change..changed the MP40 sponges..changed the filter socks..fraged a few more zoas an SPSs..cleaned the glass and all that after church....shower time !!!

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned the glass, changed the filter socks, changed out the GAC, wiped down the sump, harvested Caulerpa, replaced bulbs in refugium light, cleaned skimmer. Having a blast!

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good too hear from ya!!!! Tank must be looking good Jeff...Give me a call sometime.. :) Not a whole lot going on with the tank lately its kinda getten neglected been busy something awful since my Father-in-Law died been working on the house next door to get Mama up here,Did manage to change all filter items awhile ago(filter socks,MP sponges) cleaned the glass,well back to painting next door...:(

Last edited:

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added tail spot blenny, mounted new Oregon tort, 40g water change, vacuum DT, water change on 25lbs of cycling rock, filter bags, cleaned sump. Two mp40's to go, later though.....

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned a couple of dozen blue claw crabs for Thanksgiving and threw the guts in my tank.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g water change cleaned skimmer:)

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned and re cut and racked the frag systems with new acrylic

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those legs are made of "Kindorf" which are galvanized steel building supports that we use in construction for everything. But even the heavy galvanizing on Kindorf will not stop rust forever.

I think that leg is what we commonly call Unistrut. Nonetheless, I like the gravelfilter idea. You said reverse though... flow is down, correct? What's in the bottom at the three tubes? It looks like you needed to move it over to the left a bit because if it clogged it would overflow onto the edge of the sump. One thing I am learning is how to better control salt creep. I have determined it is something I really have to minimize, as it always seems to create problems. To do this, I try to remove all splashing and bubbling anywhere near the edges of a tank. In other words, if you have a tube going into the sump, have it such that any bubbles come up in the middle of the tank, and try to let the air out of the tubing through the top and minimize bubbles out the bottom. I use Tees for that.

Tell us more about the filter though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back