What's the Like to Posts ratio for the Hospitality award?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems this particular award is based on a ration of Likes vs Posts. Everytime I have seen it awarded it's always a high like count vs number of posts. Also when I look at the persons posts they are mostly Welcome to R2R posts. I guess that's the only thing really required?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems this particular award is based on a ration of Likes vs Posts. Everytime I have seen it awarded it's always a high like count vs number of posts. Also when I look at the persons posts they are mostly Welcome to R2R posts. I guess that's the only thing really required?
The hospitality award is given to people who are helpful in making the community feel welcoming. So, welcoming people to the community is a solid part of it. :) There is no consideration of a like/post ratio for any award given at R2R. Hope that helps. :)

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why on earth does Evolved not have this award? He’s been helpful and welcoming. However the Like to post ratio is sadly skewed to the wrong side.

People who are very helpful to folks are in my opinion deserving of some form of recognition. What better way to be hospitable than to take allot of time and help someone in need. So many people go out of their way to help others and get few if any likes for the effort. Their efforts aren’t seen either.

Yes, you could say it’s an Excellence thing and you award for that for helping. i guess it’s a fine line.

I know when I see someone new posting in an area asking for help and they only have one post. They are here to get help. I’ll welcome them but then proceed help them. This is exactly what Evolved and others do. So many people are hospitable but they just don’t get recognized for it because they don’t hang out in the welcome forum.

Anyway, just the way it looks from a users point of view.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then why on earth does Evolved not have this award? He’s been helpful and welcoming. However the Like to post ratio is sadly skewed to the wrong side.

People who are very helpful to folks are in my opinion deserving of some form of recognition. What better way to be hospitable than to take allot of time and help someone in need. So many people go out of their way to help others and get few if any likes for the effort. Their efforts aren’t seen either.

Yes, you could say it’s an Excellence thing and you award for that for helping. i guess it’s a fine line.

I know when I see someone new posting in an area asking for help and they only have one post. They are here to get help. I’ll welcome them but then proceed help them. This is exactly what Evolved and others do. So many people are hospitable but they just don’t get recognized for it because they don’t hang out in the welcome forum.

You may not be aware, but you (and anyone else) can nominate people for awards that you think they deserve. In this case, I'd definitely suggest you nominate evolved for the hospitality award. :) Just use the report feature under any post and then tell us what award you're nominating them for.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why on earth does Evolved not have this award?
Ah, thanks for that. :)
However the Like to post ratio is sadly skewed to the wrong side.
"Likes" were not a feature of the forum software until it had switched over to XF from VB in 2015. Therefore, anyone who was a member before 2015 has a clear disadvantage on that like-to-post ratio. It's not really a good metric for a whole lot...
So many people are hospitable but they just don’t get recognized for it because they don’t hang out in the welcome forum.
I'd widely agree with that. But to the point Daniel makes, anyone can nominate any other member they see as deserving by a report.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A PSA about all the little features like that and uses of them would be great in the introduction section of the forum!
On that note, this is a fantastic sticky:
It even covers this very topic of nomination! :)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the likes to post thing, but I think that's just a by-product of going in and welcoming people, not a criteria for an award. Be nice and welcoming to the newbies, and people click like on those posts.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like you're suggesting that certain criteria are weighted heavier than others. I don't see much help in welcoming someone to a website as much as when I see someone putting in the effort to help with a particular situation. It's easy to share stickies and pad your post count, but to tailor information to a particular person goes a lot further in the construct of hospitality than just being a liaison between stickies and new hobbyist. I'm not sure the criteria, perhaps there are moderators that monitor the new hobby forum or thread (honestly I don't know what it is on R2R)

But therein lies the problem, it seems like there's not enough free labor in the form of moderators to scour the forums for hospitality recipients, they push that off to the community, and when you do that... there's a form of good ol' boy mentality. Moderators wont care because It fosters the right behavior but wrong mentality. People will be overly nice just for the chance to earn a worthless tag. I know that's a harsh statement because there are so many people that value those tags.

Being a retired Air Force, you of all people should know the difference between "woodpeckers" and those that could care less for praise or accolades, doing the job right is reward enough. It's always easy to see someones true intentions whether they're doing it for the right reasons or for the sole purpose of earning a worthless plaque to go on their "Love Me!" wall.

It's their world, they will give tags to those they feel meet the criteria. They probably have pages and pages in the moderator section discussing all of this. There's nothing wrong with needing a tag to feel validated, nor is there anything wrong with giving a tag to reinforce a particular behavior. But it speaks volumes to your character when you're that guy that does good with zero expectation of a reward.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I welcome everybody I can purely because when I first joined it was quite overwhelming the amount of welcomes I received and it really made me feel like I was wanted and made to feel a part of 'the family' so its just my little way of repaying something back to the community and hopefully the newcomers will feel the way I did and hopefully stay on the forum, rather than just coming on for a few posts and then disappear, so I think its important to meet and greet people on here and should be recognised.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note, this is a fantastic sticky:
It even covers this very topic of nomination! :)

I Nominate Hunter as one of the MOST HOSPITABLE on R2R :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The badges on R2R kinda bug me as there is no set anything in awarding them. Seems to depend a moderator's mood at the time. Feel like a lot of people get overlooked.

Sorry for the confusion. There is no set time but we do award them when other members nominate providing the nominated member meets the criteria. We also nominate as staff when we see exceptional members. If you see someone that you think should receive an award please let us know!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The badges on R2R kinda bug me as there is no set anything in awarding them. Seems to depend a moderator's mood at the time. Feel like a lot of people get overlooked.
Then nominate them! 99% of the nominations come from the community, so if you see someone you think deserves it then nominate them! :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We also use the following algorithm to calculate hospitality. As the vertex approaches apogee, the flux immediately goes to infinity and stent reduction is greatly reduced. :p

Screenshot_2020-03-18 Complex Math Formulas On Whiteboard Mathematics And Science With Economi...png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back