R2R Tips and Tricks

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here at R2R there are several website related questions that are asked repeatedly. We have all been there. It can be frustrating and even embarrassing for an otherwise intelligent person who cannot figure out how to use the site. For that reason, I offer some simple tips people can use to enhance their R2R experience. Feel free to add your own tips and tricks to the list or post any site related questions you may have. If you see questions asked in threads, feel free to link to these tips.

Table of Contents
(Post#....Subject)
..2....Missed Alerts and Watched Threads
..3....Landscape Mode
..5....Undo and Redo Buttons
..6....Bookmarks
..7....Post a Video
..8....Editing Quotes in a Post
..9....Emojis :p
.10...Hashtags #
.11...Posting Links
.20...Tagging Users with the @ Symbol
.34...Mark Forums Read
(and get Alerts!)
.38...Change Your Thread Title
.41...Following Replies
.42...Help! Threads & Unanswered Threads
.46...Excellence & Hospitality Nominations

.64...Add a Cover Photo
.66...No One Follows My Build Thread!

NOTES
(1) All past entries are now updated for the R2R site upgrade.

(2) I use Dark Mode for this site and that is where all of the included images come from. If you use Dark Mode and are having trouble navigating this thread between images and reality, try switching to Light Mode just while reading these Tips and Tricks.

DISCLAIMER
Any comments or thoughts in this thread are meant to help people use this website as is. In no way am I critiquing the manner in which the site is set up, or the tools selected for managing content. With web sites there is seldom a perfect solution that meets the needs of all users. In general I find this site and its layout work well functionally as well as having an aesthetically pleasing form.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed Alerts and Watched Threads

I hear people complain about Alerts daily. Even long time R2R veterans get frustrated. It is actually simple to understand. After you read a thread, you will get an Alert notification the next time someone posts in that thread. Only that one Alert on the next post will occur. After that single notification you will get no further Alerts (excluding mentions, quotes and attachments). It makes sense. For example, with an active thread, one could get 50 Alerts all for the same thread. That would obviously render Alerts useless. There is a way though you can stay on top of active threads. The “
Watched Threads” link.
F83AB795-12D1-4B67-9E86-DD24490595F4.jpeg

The “Watched Threads” link takes you to a list of threads you follow. These are all threads you have gotten alerts for, but they are listed with the most recent threads first, much like the home page.

0DBE7823-1A61-4F1F-9390-D89FB1FA7505.jpeg

Threads that contain posts you have not read will appear in bold (like the last two threads in the example). If the title is up to date, you are caught up on all posts in that thread.

If you follow a very active thread it will likely show up regularly in this list. I actually use this link as my R2R home page. It is much easier to go through threads this way then reading the hundreds of alerts I get each day. I would suggest checking it occasionally and see what you may be missing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn your phone sideways once in a while

When reading R2R I tend to stay in Portrait mode (with the phone vertical). This is generally the easiest way to scroll and read threads. However, if you occasionally turn your phone sideways to Landscape mode, you can see user‘s statistics, post numbers and all of the witty thoughts, links and images in their signature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undo and Redo

When I type a post I find the Undo function on my iPhone often has unexpected results in the post editor. This happens on a desktop computer sometimes as well. The best way I have found to Undo or Redo actions consistently in the post editor is to use these arrow buttons.

E6CA62F6-42E9-4E3E-9BD0-0925EF121995.jpeg

A5DE25CB-2EBA-4826-BB91-3948CA8E9216.jpeg

Last edited:

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a Video

The easiest way to post a video is to first post it to a site like YouTube or Vimeo. Then, copy the link or select to "Share" the link on the host site. In the site upgrade the Media button is now grouped under the eclipses (...) button.

A6F93495-015C-4D1C-8020-2965C35A7478.jpeg

A window will pop up for you to add the external link. Just paste and click continue to embed your media.

3B97FA80-C554-46D3-B047-94319391C56B.jpeg

One note, you can also add videos directly in the upgrade. However, this feature does not function properly on my iPhone, so I do not use it. Seems self explanatory nonetheless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Editing Quotes in a Post

When you reply to a post, you may want to just quote a small phrase or picture. You can edit what is in the quote's text, but you must leave the HTML syntax in place. In simple terms, these portions in yellow must remain.
2E39B932-50D3-4972-B2CF-69F1D3D279CD.jpeg

You can edit anything between the brackets and that is what will appear in your quote, The general syntax of a quote that is needed is the following
54B38ED4-7E6E-45C8-85C5-3BF4600B5D00.jpeg

The words “Text Body” are an example of what will appear in the quote.

Text Body
It is the QUOTE text, forward slash and brackets that are important. Where I get messed up most is in editing the quote around other bracketed HTML elements like pictures. If you follow the syntax example above and get the brackets right your quote will work.

Make a quote
Additionally, you can easily manufacture a generic quote using the “Insert” button. Clicking the (...) button will give you a drop down menu. From there click "Quote" and it will generate the generic quote syntax as shown above.

0DEC24EA-41C7-4396-AA64-5EF4B387F0E5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hashtags #

Hashtags are always preceded by the number symbol (#). Hashtags allow you to follow specific content. For example I often use the hashtag #HonestyInReefing. You can click on any hashtag and get a pop up window that offers in the upper right for you to "Watch Tag".

23D766A8-F58D-428C-B2DA-73E20B51549E.jpeg

If you click it you will get an Alert any time someone uses that hashtag. You can make a hashtag out of any word and follow it. Some hashtags are used to get help on R2R. For example, as part of Reef Squad I follow their hashtag. If anyone summons #ReefSquad I get an alert. Any user can follow that hashtag if they wish to help out (I followed it long before joining Reef Squad). Another good one is #Mods. If, for example, a new user wants to change their user name or move a thread to a more appropriate forum, you can summon mods to help them with that hashtag (only moderators need follow the mods hashtag).

You can search for and see a
list of popular hashtags here

IMPORTANT UPDATE: For all users who follow hashtags, you must rewatch the hashtag anew after the site upgrade. If you followed one in the past you will not receive alerts until you do this again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting Links

First of all, every phone out there is different. I am no expert on your phone's operating system. I assume how it works for most people is to go to your browser window, tap in the address bar, select the link text and copy it. In my iPhone there are popups when I click on text to Select All and to Copy which is how I usually get the link text selected. Some phones you have to hold down to get the menu and there may be other ways (like double tapping).

One you have the link, you can simply Paste it into the post window as is and be done. On my iPhone, for example, once I am in the post editor
D22C5060-42EC-4E6A-BA19-F529D2BAA884.jpeg

I hold down my finger in the typing area and a menu bar pops up offering the option to Paste. As you can see from the preview in the image above, a nice, clickable webpage box automatically appears, as opposed to the ugly URL gibberish.

Another option is to add the link to a bit of text, this is how it is done.

First, type your text. When done, highlight the text to select. On my phone I have to double tap the first word, then I can drag the selector until the end of the text I want to make into a link. On some phones you need to hold down to select the first word and on others you use the spacebar to help select. I know it is confusing on different phones.

Once you have the text selected, you then select the chain link icon (that looks like an infinity symbol circled in orange)
7350B0F3-0EB4-4695-AB22-B4C7727B9C18.jpeg

A pop up window will open for you to paste or type your link in.
B0677297-E635-4DB3-9BA7-11CDE2AB7707.jpeg

Paste the text the same as you would into the post editor window. Select Insert and the selected text will now be a link like this:
_______

This is some text. This text will have a link. This is some more text.
_______

If an undesired link ends up in other text, or you need to edit the post, simply select the text, click the chain link button again and remove the URL. This will remove the link.

Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the bookmark feature extremely helpful.This allows you to keep a list of all your favorite threads.You can create your own name for the post, which makes it easier to remember the content.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bookmark-add-on-added.279568/#post-3391083

When you make a bookmark list,just click on the post number (far left) to bring up the thread.
This is a life changing feature, lol. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention.

And special thanks to @NY_Caveman for your tireless efforts to help everyone enjoy this forum! ;Happy

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a crazy great idea and should probably be done very 6 to 12 months for new members to R2R!

NY_Caveman is on my list of heroes!

Now I have a question. What is the difference between doing a '#' before something and doing '@' before something? I know #ReefSquad sends an alert out to everybody that is a member of the Squad and now I know others can follow it as well (that's cool). But what does the @ make happen?

See, even somebody who has been here for years and is a member of the Reef Squad can have questions! And NY_Caveman, you can count I my having more soon!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a crazy great idea and should probably be done very 6 to 12 months for new members to R2R!

NY_Caveman is on my list of heroes!

Now I have a question. What is the difference between doing a '#' before something and doing '@' before something? I know #ReefSquad sends an alert out to everybody that is a member of the Squad and now I know others can follow it as well (that's cool). But what does the @ make happen?

See, even somebody who has been here for years and is a member of the Reef Squad can have questions! And NY_Caveman, you can count I my having more soon!

The @ is to actually tag a member. As an example, @Ron Reefman, you will now get an alert that I just tagged you in this thread Ron.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back