NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following Replies

Ever read someone’s reply to a post and wonder what they were referring too? Perhaps the reply box text only gives part of the story, or the post itself was a reply to an even earlier post. There is a link embedded in each reply box that you can click to navigate to the original message.

In this post I replied to a question about my tank.

00EE071B-F57F-4CAA-BE57-AD70094238B2.jpeg

In the reply box, you can see a little blue arrow (circled in yellow). If you click on the arrow, it will take you to the original post.
F42F015F-C98E-4526-BE47-2DB90E274337.jpeg

You can even copy the reply HTML into conversations and other threads and link back to the original post in its original thread. Pretty cool.

Even long time, well known users can miss little things like this, including the user who suggested this post (*cough* @GoVols *cough*). ;Hilarious

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! Threads & Unanswered Threads

This post will be a little more about the philosophy of getting answers to questions rather than the usual, straight forward tip. I will offer some thoughts from my experience seeking and offering help.

Everyone here understands. When you post a question, you want an immediate answer. Especially if you have a tank emergency. It can be frustrating and the wait may seem to take forever. There are folks here who want to help. Believe me, I have seen well known users on R2R who lament when they cannot help someone and it pains them.

Here are my tips on asking for help.

1) Be Patient!
It is likely someone needs to do research before replying. You may feel like your post is being passed over, but a knowledgeable user might be online trying to ID your hitchhiker, or is looking up the specifications of your equipment. Me personally, I try to “Like” a user's question while I am researching for them. My hope is it tells them someone saw their question and is working on it.

2) Give It Time.
Isn’t that the same as be patient? Well, yes. My point is think about all factors. If you post a non-emergency question at 3am EDT, you may not get an immediate response. This is not a phone call, remember. If it is a question concerning rare livestock or equipment, it may take time until someone with knowledge finds you. They will.

“But, Caveman, won’t my help thread just got lost in the volume of posts?”

A-ha! This is what I see all too often. Someone starts a help thread in the middle of the night and then “bumps” their thread 15 minutes later. This is the absolute worst thing you can do. Why? Because of this:

3) Unanswered Threads
Did you know in the menu list you are given a link to Unanswered Threads?

First, click the menu button

19B78DD5-6C53-419E-A137-EEA15416F9A5.jpeg

Then select the option “UNANSWERED THREADS.”

354123FD-0941-4794-AEC0-B1D28EF015A0.jpeg

This link will take you to a list of all threads without any replies. While your unanswered post may have moved off the home page list, it lives on in the Unanswered Threads list. So who monitors the list? ReefSquad does, staff does and, believe it or not, a large smattering of very knowledgeable users also contribute. Any user can click the link and look for threads to help. Take a look and try it out yourself.

When you start a help thread, do not “bump” it. That only removes it from the list. Typically, the Unanswered Threads list is less than one page long. That is a tribute to all of the phenomenal users here who help simply out of the goodness of their hearts.

*NOTE: during live sales and other high traffic events, the Unanswered Threads link may be taken down to help keep the server activity streamlined.

4) Be Specific
Please, please, please be specific. A post that says, “Why are my corals dying?” does not give us much to go by. Post your system details, livestock details, parameters, etc. All of these help for two reasons (1) it gives us a full picture of your system and (2) the manner in which you describe your system will help us determine your skill level. Nothing is irrelevant when trying to figure out a problem remotely. Remember a specific title also helps get eyes on your problem.

5) Respond to All Inquiries
Sometimes to help, we need more information. Please try to answer all requests about the details of your issue. You may get multiple attempts to help you, but for a complete answer, be mindful of all who try to help. In some cases, quick fix replies may not be the best solution. Too often a helpful user has done a long bit of research only to be lost in a series of less relevant posts.

6) Be Respectful
It happens. Someone tries to help you, but they are not quite getting your issue. Perhaps your reefing philosophy is different and you simply disagree with their suggestion. That is okay. Just thank them for their advice and request more opinions. Do not get frustrated and do not bash anyone willing to help. That will only discourage other users from wanting to chime in.

7) Stick With the Original Thread
Once you post your help thread stick with it. Do not post additional threads. Do not post in multiple Forums. Do not pass Go and collect $200. That will only fragment the responses and make it more difficult to get help. Remember too, your help thread may be useful to future searchers, so keeping it all in one thread helps everyone. If the thread works better in a different Forum, moderators can always move it for you. They often do this as they see them.

Last edited:

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following Replies
Ever read someone’s reply to a post and wonder what they were referring too? Perhaps the reply box text only gives part of the story, or the post itself was a reply to an even earlier post. There is a link embedded in each reply box that you can click to navigate to the original message.

In this post I replied to a question about my tank.

In the reply box, you can see a little blue arrow (circled in yellow). If you click on the arrow, it will take you to the original post.

Even long time, well known users can miss little things like this, including the user who suggested this post (*cough* @GoVols *cough*). ;Hilarious
Great tip!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated this thread. Here's a camera phone video from today. Video shows how that single nem turned into 2 huge nems in a pretty short period!

I also bought a Clarisea. I'm really happy with it, zero regrets. I'll had more details later. For now, the tank:

Once the clarisea cleans up the water a bit, I'll get back to nice photograph + video. Tank is healthy, but the vermetid snails + aiptasia are annoying. I'll like to find the wrasse a new home and buy a bunch of nudis

@NY_Caveman

The blue arrow works from thread to thread too... ;Woot ;Woot

:)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman

The blue arrow works from thread to thread too... ;Woot ;Woot

Yes true. I have even cut and pasted them into conversations to give people links back to the original post and thread. Great added point!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellence & Hospitality Nominations

Ever wonder where the Excellence Award and Hospitality Award badges come from? They mostly come from the nominations of users like you. Anyone can nominate another user for these awards. The recommended way to do this is:
  • go to a post by that user
  • click the Report link (blue circle in the image below)
  • type in the reasons the user qualifies
E26D3789-F2D5-4CBB-B07D-00FDEAD7BDAD.jpeg

And you all probably thought the Report button was only for bad things.

The best way to qualify for these awards, quoting @tupes, is to be “active, courteous, knowledgeable, helpful, welcoming.” Excellence may be expertise in one area, knowledge of reefing in general, or a continuous demonstration of the spirit of reefing and R2R.

I will mention that ReefSquad nominations can only be made by ReefSquad members. Generally ReefSquad members have earned the Excellence Award prior to being nominated. R2R staff alone decide who actually gets awards and ReefSquad invitations after reviewing nominees.

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellence & Hospitality Nominations

And you all probably thought the Report button was only for bad things
Hey look Ma' I made it to the big times!

Thanks brian, I had no idea that was a function of the "report" button.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new site launch I will probably have to redo much of this thread. Give me some time to get used to the new layout and functionality and I will get it done. Probably have a few more tips as well. Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new site launch I will probably have to redo much of this thread. Give me some time to get used to the new layout and functionality and I will get it done. Probably have a few more tips as well. Thanks!

Thank you!!

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's quite a lot to this new version. Actually this is a bigger jump than it seems. XF 2.0 came out over a year and a half ago and was updated to XF 2.1 this spring and is now 2.1.3

There's a decent amount if info about what's new if you google for it. This official forum should help a good bit too.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's quite a lot to this new version. Actually this is a bigger jump than it seems. XF 2.0 came out over a year and a half ago and was updated to XF 2.1 this spring and is now 2.1.3

There's a decent amount if info about what's new if you google for it. This official forum should help a good bit too.
Thanks!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh... what most would consider a pain, you take in stride and are always the sunny side for the gray scale moments Brian.

Literally, when I saw all the changes, I thought of you, and all the work you put into this thread..

Sorry you gotta do this, but not sorry. Because it's such a great source of help for many, and you are so thorough, it will be much needed. I expect the views to go through the roof on the new one you make.

Good luck. Looking forward to all the cool stuff you find.

#r2r4life

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh... what most would consider a pain, you take in stride and are always the sunny side for the gray scale moments Brian.

Literally, when I saw all the changes, I thought of you, and all the work you put into this thread..

Sorry you gotta do this, but not sorry. Because it's such a great source of help for many, and you are so thorough, it will be much needed. I expect the views to go through the roof on the new one you make.

Good luck. Looking forward to all the cool stuff you find.

#r2r4life
Ha! Thanks. I am not all that. Just all OCD. I am usually positive though, even though my favorite color is grey.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Thanks. I am not all that. Just all OCD. I am usually positive though, even though my favorite color is grey.

No one else could do it better. Grey, black or white. (With perfectly even margins and size ratios)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bri, hows it going? Hope ur not killing yourself on this...

Curious... I'm on mobile...
I cant seen to find an option to have "unread" watched threads with new posts automatically go to the top on my "watched threads" they stay in place in my list whether theres a new post or not.

Am I overlooking a sorting filter?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cant seen to find an option to have "unread" watched threads with new posts automatically go to the top on my "watched threads" they stay in place in my list whether theres a new post or not.

Rich,
Brain might have to start off with a new thread.

FWIW:
I'm hooked into the Dark Side mode... o_O

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not available........yet ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back