What's the longest amount of time you've been away from your Reef Tank?

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of 9 day stints. Just an ATO and an auto-feeder running. I have some fish that don’t love pellets and flakes, which I normally don’t feed, so I do a bit of a routine to ge them used to those a few days in advance. I run filter cups, so had underfilled those purposely and dialled my skimmer way back, mainly just for the oxygenation. The tank glass needed a good cleaning but everything looked great, particularly my corals. We’re about to go away again. Next time I’ll also have the benefit of the whole-home generator that’s being installed in July.

Emanuel Refer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longest time that I have ever been away from my reef tank was 5 days. I had an DIY ATO and a old phone that I installed an camera app on. I checked my tank every couple of hours really anxious that if somtheng went wrong nowan could come. Finally everything went OK and I didn't had any problems.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
21 days, big brute for RODI , auto feeder, apex for monitoring, wifi camera, no changes to auto doser, and run the skimmer on the dry side. no problem

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 2 months while i was suck with covid. My GF kept my ATO tank full. Even when i did see my tank it took anothe week before I had the strength to empty my skimmer cup. It exhausted me and I had to change the filter socks a couple days later. Surprisingly the tank did pretty well.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 2 months while i was suck with covid. My GF kept my ATO tank full. Even when i did see my tank it took anothe week before I had the strength to empty my skimmer cup. It exhausted me and I had to change the filter socks a couple days later. Surprisingly the tank did pretty well.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours. Going to be duck hunting all of November. Training a neighborhood girl to feed the fish, add to the ATO, etc. Getting a lion fish in a few months. Better let her know not to pet it.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got back from a two week trip (including flight delays) and all was well. We had a really good house sitter and left incredibly detailed instructions, so that helped!

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work away from home for and the longest my tank and I have been separated was 80 days. My wife is good enough to top up the ATO. I have a Mastertronic testing once a week and other reef factory kit keeping me up to date with temperature, pH etc. I opted not to use an APEX as I am scared of a single point failure.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
3 days or do. had my GF’s mom come and feed the tank while we were out. once i redo the lid on my tank, i’ll invest in an auto feeder. i don’t have controllers so being away for more than a week seems a bit much for me at the moment

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back