What's the longest amount of time you've been away from your Reef Tank?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 or 9 days for me. No cam or controller here, and I only ever had my tank crashed by a sitter once!!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks for a road trip to Sonoma, the Grand Canyon, Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns, Phoenix, and all points in between.
No controller, but I have an AWC and ATO. My son looked after the tanks and got pretty sick of me calling all the time. When we got back all was well. Best vacation we ever had! I wasn't worried a bit.
friends.gif

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 weeks. Neighbor came over once to top off 2 part. Apex, AWC, RODI ATO, webcam, auto feeder. It’s automated pretty good at the moment.

Dallascowboys16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went off to college, my reef tank was relegated to my mother who feeds the tank, tops off the ATO reservoir, and scrubs the glass. Any water changes and tank maintenance are done when I am home on breaks which is no more than once every 3 or 4 months. Thank God for auto top offs and dosing pumps :)

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 days for me so far have a house sitter to manually dose alk mag and cal eve4y day and feed. Do this every 2-3 weeks.

Need a automatic doser, might b3 my next purchase.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~3 Weeks, as with many others on the thread I have Apex monitoring and dosing, auto-water changes set up and self topping RODI. So theoretically my limitation for "touching" is the size of my NSW tank. Most times if I am traveling less than 9 days or so I don't even feed the tank

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week. I had the neighbor boys come and feed once a day. My small 5 gallon ATO had a little left in it. Longer will need them to add RODI

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

If im away for 3 days I dont bother. Juat fatten them up few days before I go.
That's my thought. I need to start planning for my vacation when I will be out of the country if possible this year for 3 weeks. Get a friend to come by every 3/4 days to check and feed, maybe top off ATO water.

With reduced feeding, I hope to go without WC for 3/4 weeks!

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 weeks and counting. I’ll be home soon. No apex, one of my employees checks alk twice per week and makes adjustments, and my 81 year old dad is staying at the house with the fish and the dog. Sorry about the crappy iPad pic. I’ll see what it looks like when I get home.
What is that orange branching stag?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you feed the fish every 3 days or so if you are on vacation? In the wild they dont eat everyday either
I’ve been on a lot of reefs, and the fish I’ve seen are always fat (by aquarist standards) and eating constantly :)

3-4 days is usually the longest I’ll go, and I have a Hydros computer, cameras, and staff monitoring them!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months for work, like most others I’m fully automated. Wife just had to feed them and mix up a batch for AWC once. Longest we’ve both been away is 2 weeks

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unplanned 4 days this week due to medical treatments needed 300 miles away for my wife. Had a friend feed daily. Monitored with apex Classic and wyze camera on the fish room. My ATS is probably getting close to full so, I need to go home today or have a reefing maintenance person come out and clean the screen on the scrubber if I don't make it home today.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 day vacation a couple years ago. I had my mother feed the fish and top off the tank. I am going away in July and the only thing she should have to do this year is feed the tank. I have an ATO now. Still a nervous wreck about though.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that orange branching stag?
Justin the one middle right is a Millie I got local at a swap. It encrusts green and blue and is a killer color red. The on lower left of center is a big r Walt Disney. Both frags were placed about 14 months ago. The Disney was the size of a pea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back