whats the most important, the watts or voltage of a device

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im mapping my tanks hardware and i am wondering what is more important to know.

1. the watts of a device or its voltage,

for example; a wave maker, is simple, it lists XXX watts and XXX volts

BUT

some devices Like kessill lights have an have an input/output voltage and watts listed?

dont want to overload my plug and breaker.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a normal circuit in most areas they will be rated for 15 amps and 1500 watts continuous use, 1800 watts short term. That's really quite a bit of power and most tanks won't use half that much unless it's pretty big with powerful lighting. Obviously make sure you don't have a 1200w microwave on the same circuit as the tank.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am mapping out, calculating the total loads on each of my surge protectors and i want to know the total draw on my circuit breaker. Ideally, I want my circuit to be operating at 80 percent capacity, which is called the safe load. You can calculate a safe load for a circuit breaker by multiplying its amperage by 0.8. now most equipment does no list amps in the manuals. my tank has its on plug and 20 amp breaker, nothing but tank equipment is on the circuit.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watts and volts are tied together. Niether is more important per say, but for what you are looking at you’ll probably want to focus on watts AC.

Watts is just amps times volts. So if you know the watts and voltage you can determine current draw (at max wattage/power) if that is important to you.

What you really probably are after is surge wattage. Sometimes called startup draw or locked rotor draw on a motor or pump. Larger equipment usually has a surge rating of some kind, but I haven’t seen anything on my equipment that lists that and nothing you’d be running besides a decent size AC pump would have a big enough startup draw to worry about.
I bet AC pumps do come with this rating though.

One last note in terms of your powerbar, everything plugged into is is running on 110-120 volts. That’s the voltage the grid provides (on one leg, in the US).

Any DC volts your seeing will be down stream of the devices converter (big black box) and probably has no effect on your power bar calcs.

Cheers,
C

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am mapping out, calculating the total loads on each of my surge protectors and i want to know the total draw on my circuit breaker. Ideally, I want my circuit to be operating at 80 percent capacity, which is called the safe load. You can calculate a safe load for a circuit breaker by multiplying its amperage by 0.8. now most equipment does no list amps in the manuals. my tank has its on plug and 20 amp breaker, nothing but tank equipment is on the circuit.

So you want to stay at or below 16amps.

16amps x 120volts (high side) = 1920watts

Stay under that an you’re where you want to be.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49997578_338065043697254_5310276991881052160_o.jpg

based on my owners manuals that i can find. remember i have a 20 amp breaker with only tank equipment on the circuit. am i right( ish) 7 total amps and 835 total watts?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to track the watts for usage.
Watts add up to amps
You are charged for amps bybthe electric company.

A device (pumps)will use more amps/ watts as it ages or has to work harder.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

based on my owners manuals that i can find. remember i have a 20 amp breaker with only tank equipment on the circuit. am i right( ish) 7 total amps and 835 total watts?

I can’t see the image, but assuming you added all the watts. Yes.

That’s worst case.
Most homes don’t get 120volts. It’s usually between 108-112. So you’re under 800 in that case.

And all this is assuming you’re running all your equipment on max power.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im mapping my tanks hardware and i am wondering what is more important to know.

1. the watts of a device or its voltage,

for example; a wave maker, is simple, it lists XXX watts and XXX volts

BUT

some devices Like kessill lights have an have an input/output voltage and watts listed?

dont want to overload my plug and breaker.

I notice that dc devices are lot more efficient, efficiency means less watts so less issuse on outlets.. So dc voltage devices. To me

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's way easier to just go off watts if you are looking for a simple calculation. A pump that draws 60 watts draws 60 watts, it doesn't matter if it's 24 volts or 2billion volts. You can then take your 1500w per circuit number and say "ok, I have 900 watts here, so I'm ok".

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have plenty of headroom. Absolutely nothing to worry about. The 20A circuit was a good idea for sure but definitely overkill for the current situation.

Pun intended.

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volts are the "potential" where watts are the "work being performed" is the best analogy I can give. Depending on the country you live will pretty much determine the Volts. Watts are determined by the device. Convert watts to amps and then you can dived the power draw between sources. I have always tried to split my tank so that if I loose one wall outlet the other is still powering half the pumps and power heads, one heater ect.

Read more: Difference Between Volts and Watts | Difference Between | Volts vs Watts http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-volts-and-watts/#ixzz5bVekV9SS

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Justin Carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes you are doing the
I can’t see the image, but assuming you added all the watts. Yes.

That’s worst case.
Most homes don’t get 120volts. It’s usually between 108-112. So you’re under 800 in that case.

And all this is assuming you’re running all your equipment on max power.

That's not true at all...... one leg is 120 volts +7 or -10 volts from 120 that's 110 to 127volts if you see any less or more contact your utility.

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short watts. Voltage should be the same among all devices that are AC.

For devises like your kessill you want the input voltage. You don’t care what direct current is leaving just what’s going into it.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are doing the

That's not true at all...... one leg is 120 volts +7 or -10 volts from 120 that's 110 to 127volts if you see any less or more contact your utility.

Not to derail this too far, but having worked on 100’s of homes and having 90% of them have to do just that (contact thier utility to increase voltage as unlike most home electonics, solar systems are picky on voltage)
I’ll stand by my statement.

Of course this could very greatly by territory I suppose.
I didn’t say it was right or couldn’t be corrected, but it is true in the northeast, albeit pretty irrelevant to the original question.

Justin Carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction input watts/ amps not voltage since it should be the same

All I can say is you are doing the right thing calculating the draw on your breaker. My question is, is it a dedicated circuit like above mentioned (no lights or microwave). Just saying . it's a 20 amp breaker isn't what you should go on. What wire size is feeding that receptacle. I'm new to the site I just want to help make sure people know the right facts (no fires). your plug is rated for the draw?(current amps) most receptacles are maybe 15amps how old is your home?

Justin Carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail this too far, but having worked on 100’s of homes and having 90% of them have to do just that (contact thier utility to increase voltage as unlike most home electonics, solar systems are picky on voltage)

I didn’t say it was right or couldn’t be corrected, but it is true in the northeast, albeit pretty irrelevant to the original question.

I supply power to homes and work on the lines don't lie to people only tell people true facts please. Under 110 and at 108 the lights would flicker in there homes they have a big problem at this point. We want to run fish tanks here not get roung information

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back