What's the most valuable feature of a controller?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cannot imagine running a tank without a controller.

First of all I have an SMS module on my Aquatronica has a 9V battery backup. Even if everything else is destroyed, if that little box remains intact I get an alert on my phone within 30 seconds that the power has gone off. It will also alert me to any normal alerts like temp, water leaks and pump stopping etc. The Apex app now backs some of that up with heartbeat and also app notifications.

List of items I control is long, here are the ones I can remember off the top of my head in no particular order

1) Temperature control + Alerts
2) Sump Level control and top off + error Alerts
3) If Tank Level, get's to high I get notified then return pump will shut down for a period of time and then try again if the level has stayed down for X amount of time.
4) Klir DI-4 filter sock level monitoring plus control and info on time left until roll runs out, plus 40 second dispensing time lock in case something goes wrong with level sensor reading, if so alert me.
5) Tank pH, Sump Ph also Tank Temp and Sump Temp.
6) Sulfur reactor monitoring via ORP
7) Auto Top off control and timeouts.
8) Control of my Vortechs and scheduled modes and powers.
9) Complete control of my LED's power and spectrum. Dusk till dawn settings
10) Alk, Ca, Mg Monitoring.
11) Accurate Salinity monitoring (not like the Neptune Probe!) Mine kills ATO if salinity gets to low.
12) Monitoring pump GPH and alerting me if it slows or increases by too much.
13) Leak detection at Tank Will shutoff main pump and alert me.
14) Leak detection in RODI area that will alert me.
15) Oxygen level monitoring and alerts.
16) Main light monitoring via a sensor. If they don't come on at the proper time I get an alert.
17) Dosing pump control for two part and Mg.
18) Maintenance alerts for items.
19) Fans controlled by controller
20) Feed mode with a press of a button Return pump and Vortech's shut down.

I am now working on monitoring Dosing chemical level bins. I might add auto feeding in case I am away and no one can do it for me.

I have lots of programs that work based on multiple things being correct, like no ATO water unless the level is low and the salinity is above a certain point.

Last edited:

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a simple wifi controller...no monitor. Wrong. You have the choice to drive rolls. Logic says don't waste the money.
My bank account says I don't have the money (same with the Apex). Otherwise I would be :)

So the wifi controller WONT do what I'm looking for...looks like apex is still on the wishlist. I'll leave the wifi controller to simple tasks like feedmode on powerheads

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bank account says I don't have the money (same with the Apex). Otherwise I would be :)

So the wifi controller WONT do what I'm looking for...looks like apex is still on the wishlist. I'll leave the wifi controller to simple tasks like feedmode on powerheads

Exactly... finally someone with some sense. (pump timer, lighting timmer, sump lighting, skimmer....every connected device controlled with simple voice commands).
$20 can't go wrong.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly... finally someone with some sense. (pump timer, lighting timmer, sump lighting, skimmer....every connected device controlled with simple voice commands).
$20 can't go wrong.

But isn't your Mom gonna be furious when something leaks and you ruin her floor?
lol j/k.

U

User1

View Badges
Controller should always be on a separate circuit IMO. Or at least not on the same one that powers wet equipment.

Actually great advice here. I have two return pumps and they are on a separate circuit for this reason. I never looked at the controller although it is on a battery backup. Nice tip. Thanks for posting it.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But isn't your Mom gonna be furious when something leaks and you ruin her floor?
lol j/k.

you mean wife :p , Nothing has leaked in 7 years, I have a properly sized sump!!! I lose power DT water goes to sump. Lose power for 10 min and the generator kicks in Also, I don't swim in the ocean so I am never going to get bitten by a shark odds are even greater now that my tank will never spring a leak too.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reach back only tells you if your controller is no longer connected to the internet, can alexa? you might be disconnected because of something mundane like loosing internet at home, or something more serious like someone knocked down a power pole and it wont be back up until its fixed. the point is that you get notified while away from home and can take action to find out why your not connected and can correct the situation. no internet, not a big deal, no power, now you need to do something.
I think you may be mixing the two between a valuable feature and the troll. The fact your controller is no longer talking to the internet "could be" a issue. It depends on how systems are set up. Hobbyist may travel, go on vacation, jobs that do not allow breaks (nurses, doctors, military, etc), and this would alert them something as simple as network outage is the issue or worse such as a GFI tripping and the tank having now moving water.

This may or may not be important to you. Each hobbyist will be different. To put it into perspective watch the BRS video and they will say how over the weekend this particular apex didn't have it enabled, gfi tripped, and the tank was lost. Again, if you don't think so all well and fine. However, it is pretty nice feature to have and everything else is just gravy.

As far as alexa - not sure why that was noted other than me replying to the lad saying that yes, even the apex can integrate with alexa if that is your thing. Unrelated to the feature.

Hopefully that clears it up although I think we may be on the same page. Not that it matters - cheers!
this is exactly what ri was pointing out to troll

The fact your controller is no longer talking to the internet "could be" a issue
reach back only tells you if your controller is no longer connected to the internet, can alexa? I DON'T KNOW I DON'T USE IT, not reporting a connection means to figure out why. go home

Hobbyist may travel, go on vacation, jobs that do not allow breaks (nurses, doctors, military, etc), and this would alert them something as simple as network outage is the issue or worse such as a GFI tripping and the tank having now moving water.
the point is that you get notified while away from home and can take action to find out why your not connected and can correct the situation.
no internet, means its not a big deal,
if you have no power, now you need to do something.

can you do this for 20$ ? I doubt it.

$20 can't go wrong.

controlled? yes.
MONITORED? NOT VERY WELL

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is exactly what ri was pointing out to troll

reach back only tells you if your controller is no longer connected to the internet, can alexa? I DON'T KNOW I DON'T USE IT, not reporting a connection means to figure out why. go home

the point is that you get notified while away from home and can take action to find out why your not connected and can correct the situation.
no internet, means its not a big deal,
if you have no power, now you need to do something.

can you do this for 20$ ? I doubt it.

controlled? yes.
MONITORED? NOT VERY WELL

Monitored- not at all

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not bashing anyone for using timers and stuff, I started there myself. its just that being able to monitor your tanks health away from home has its advantages. like being able to tell if you may have lost power.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones I use as they work good with Alexa. Each outlet is controllable and programmable from smartphone. There are cheaper ones.

Its amazing how much reefing has changed in the 20 yrs I've been away. Skimming through this site I have learned SO MUCH. Wifi controlled power strips, I feel old lol

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reliable, as in it doesn't crap out when you are 1000 miles away on vacation. what you mentioned would be a nice bonus.
Yep if your controller is not reliable then you are just wasting your time waiting for a software bug to wipe out your tank.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reliable as it will tell you when your equipment isn't reliable?
reliable, as in it doesn't crap out when you are 1000 miles away on vacation. what you mentioned would be a nice bonus.
with the eb832 you have individual outlet power monitoring you can set up to tell you if equipment is failing or has failed, or just needs cleaning, so yes it can, and with heart beat fusion tells you the controller might have failed in some way.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back