What's the most valuable feature of a controller?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a seam breaks, a controller isn't going to help you, either is an alert. haha

Nor if your house burns down or gets hit by a meteor. Surprisingly though, there are a lot of little things that go awry with a reef tank that monitoring/alerting CAN help with. Limited only by ones imagination I suppose.

I got a controller (and a standby generator) as a form of peace of mind because I travel a lot for my job ..... well, did travel. Probably will again.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies to the community at large for engaging the troll. I think the most valuable feature of a controller is the ability to be notified, particularly when you are away so you can make a rational decision regarding response. If any.

I agree 100% with your statement. At first I was monitoring a lot of stuff and making sure I got as many parameters being monitored as possible.

Once I got all my programs pretty much perfected I stopped looking at parameters very often. Now I just listen out for alarms or alerts on my phone. Once a month maintenance and cleaning the glass are now my main chores. Feeding the fish and corals and watching the interactions are now my reward.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did the same but without the monitoring. My corals tell me if there is an issue. I don't travel for work so a controller is all I need.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a big fan of the monitoring and also the ability to automate various tasks. I wouldn't own a tank without a controller anymore.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a controller. But I'm at the point where my tank is older, and my floors are newer. I currently control most items with a wifi pwer strip and a bayite. But I have been planning to add a controller mostly for leak detection and response. I don't have $thousands in livestock, but I know a few people who have had thousands in floor damage. I'm also thinking about something like the Phyn water leak detector for the house. I have pretty easy access to install it.
So for me, damage to the house I suppose is my biggest priority. Along with some basic error-proofing/operational control while I'm away for a few days.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important feature of any controller is communication to let you know when something is wrong.

For inst I just recently hooked up a Trident and my solution A just ran out (well almost) and testing had stopped for over 24hrs. Did I get a msg? Heck no, I only discovered by chance going into the app. That's a fail for me. These things can work seamlessly for days, weeks, months, but if they don't keep you informed of issues then they are worthless.

Haberdasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reliability. It has to be reliable. Which my Apex was not. It rotted from the inside out. I threw it in the trash. Will never invest in one again.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reliability. It has to be reliable. Which my Apex was not. It rotted from the inside out. I threw it in the trash. Will never invest in one again.
Any device in a high moisture area could do that without some sort of protection or prevention of it. Maybe need to be moved to another location

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess it's well known that I am not a fan of the Apex reliability factor but I am using one just to run the Trident. I guess having the Heartbeat function is a semi good backup to my SMS texting module on my other controller and it does not hurt to have an extra Temp and pH probe although I have not yet installed them. To your point, reliability is everything! You need a controller than can go for years and years without any glitches or strange readings.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For me: Control of outlets and ability to monitor temp-PH-salinity and water flow control via WAV pump
Have a DOS on the way and will be dosing from controller .

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is temperature monitoring/alerts and control. What’s yours?

In addition to monitoring 2 temp probes (sump and display) I also have low-level and high-level optical sensors in my sump to warn me if my return pump fails or there is a leak (high-level), or my ATO automation fails (low-level). I also have 2 strategically placed water sensors. My Apex will text me if there is an alarm, but I have also wired-in an 110v school bell that will wake the dead for these key alarms. I also have a separate iSocket device that monitors power and temp which is connected to the cellular network. This protects me against a power outage or if my Apex fails. Can't have too much redundancy IMO.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back