What's the one fish you regretted buying the most?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any and all Damsels (other than clown fish). The worst of the worst for me was a Blue Velvet Damsel. Beautiful fish, but after murdering three of my other community fish, it was removed and put into a witness protection program....a friends tank that was an aggressive fish only tank.

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secondly (not a fish), but a Sally Lightfoot crab that came in a reef pack. It was nice for a while, then I added a small cleaner shrimp and upon arrival was molting in the front of the tank. My wife and I was watching this and kinda having an aww moment, when here comes Sally and helps himself to a $30 lunch. !*%^#@

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue velvet damsel

it grew to be massive ( 6-8” ) and the worse bully ever. .
Knocking rocks over , chasing and bulling tank mates .

the only way to get him out was a bated fish hook and string

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A copperband butterfly. I drove an hour out to checkout a new LFS I heard was good. Aquatic Sealife in Metairie. I asked to see him eat and they would not feed it. The staff were pretty rude. I drove an hour and didn’t want to leave with nothing, so I took a chance.

The worse part is I learned this lesson 30 years ago. Shame on me! The new lesson I learned is I’ll never go back to that store... saw a lot of red flags that day. Shame on them!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miniatus Grouper... Beautiful fish with great colors, but by the time it had grown to about 8", it had eaten every other fish in the 180 gallon tank. I couldn't even find a place to rehome it as nobody wanted it.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish here as well. Have two in my tank. The little one is a saint. Bigger one always attacks me every time my hand is in the tank. I mean attacks, he has drawn blood. He is akin to a Piranha. I don’t regret having him, more of a nuisance when fiddling with tank. Maybe he’s just telling me to leave my tank be.

DEVIL FISH
The big one is a she and not a he. The lady clowns get pretty mean after they reach maturity.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any and all Damsels (other than clown fish). The worst of the worst for me was a Blue Velvet Damsel. Beautiful fish, but after murdering three of my other community fish, it was removed and put into a witness protection program....a friends tank that was an aggressive fish only tank.

That was one of the first saltwater fish I purchased (not knowing any better), and maybe a year later ended up taking it back to the store I bought it at and gave it to them for free.

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish. Too skittish, scared of every fish even though they never bothered her. Ended up jumping out of tank through screen top overnight.

Shadowfax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're also incredibly aggressive, do you still have them? I think big pairs are good looking
I used to have a pair for 10 years and they are very aggressive. Once one of them died the other has been more relax. Maybe it was marriage ;)

BStreetReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickles the Six Line Wrasse was the absolute meanest most anxiety inducing fish I had ever seen. I watched in HORROR as he slowly killed several of my fish, but he was too small and quick to catch. Last weekend we decided to break down the tank and give it a deep clean, when it came time to put everyone back in I happily put Pickles in a container and brought him back to the store. Now all of our fish actually come out and meander around the tank, everone seems happier, and the tank is just more peaceful. I am so happy that little jerk face is gone.

Come to find out, the fish store sold him that night. Godspeed to the poor soul to bought him. Ugh.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickles the Six Line Wrasse was the absolute meanest most anxiety inducing fish I had ever seen. I watched in HORROR as he slowly killed several of my fish, but he was too small and quick to catch. Last weekend we decided to break down the tank and give it a deep clean, when it came time to put everyone back in I happily put Pickles in a container and brought him back to the store. Now all of our fish actually come out and meander around the tank, everone seems happier, and the tank is just more peaceful. I am so happy that little jerk face is gone.

Come to find out, the fish store sold him that night. Godspeed to the poor soul to bought him. Ugh.
I’m sorry, I know parts of this story are traumatic but I am dying laughing at “Pickles”;Hilarious

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clown goby. From the moment it went into the tank it started nipping acros. Luckily I was able to get him back out shortly after (not easy in a 200 gal tank with 240 lbs of rock work.)

im surprised so many hate the six line. Maybe I got lucky with mine who keeps to himself. Or maybe he will turn at some point?

I love/hate my leopard wrasse - beautiful fish but kicks up sand often while hunting.

clowns are little jerks. Started with 4 because wife liked them. Then one became a bully and am now down to two.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupidly, I put a Lemonpeel Angle into my reef. I thought they were reef safe with caution. They are not.

The fish has killed so many acro colonies. Anything that shows polyp extension is pecked until there is nothing left except white coral skeleton, even green Birds-nest.

I have tried to remove the fish but it is too smart. All my other many fish eat from my hand. It know I hate it and makes sarcastic faces at me. I have dreamed about using a harpoon to hunt it down.. :(
See... there it is making a sarcastic face... It has stopped eating coral and is now eating palys. I so wish I could get it out?
CBA7CA2F-236C-417F-80E2-E65A2CE11175.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Watchman Goby.

Sure he kept the sandbed sparkly white, but once he got established, he dug everywhere and then he started filling his mouth with sand and dumping sand into cupped corals and all over the rockscape. Total mess everywhere.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my hawk fish, but can’t keep any ornaments shrimp which I don’t like.

I am also surprised by 6 line wrasse haters - I got mine full grown from someone breaking down a tank and had it a couple years with no issues in a 45gal. I sort of wonder how big folks tanks are, too...
Clown goby. From the moment it went into the tank it started nipping acros. Luckily I was able to get him back out shortly after (not easy in a 200 gal tank with 240 lbs of rock work.)

im surprised so many hate the six line. Maybe I got lucky with mine who keeps to himself. Or maybe he will turn at some point?

I love/hate my leopard wrasse - beautiful fish but kicks up sand often while hunting.

clowns are little jerks. Started with 4 because wife liked them. Then one became a bully and am now down to two.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back