What's the risks of getting CO2 absorbtion material in tank?

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been experimenting with a recirculating co2 absorber with my skimmer. Part of the burden has been the moisture in the air (which I partially manage with a collection chamber before the media chamber).

Today in my maintenance I see the soda lime had gotten too wet and dissolved some. It looks like some of it had gotten up the intake tube and into the skimmer. I don't know how much got into the tank but I have been monitoring my alkalinity closely and am sure everything there is fine.

I am wondering what chemically would be a concern if this happens multiple times? Is this material likely to have impurities? Anything besides alkalinity and pH concerning if it contaminates the aquarium again? I am just trying to evaluate the risks and see if I want to continue forward with this experiment.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest potential issue would be the dye used for soda lime - assuming you got color changing media. The rest is pretty straightforward - in smaller quantities wouldn’t be an issue. If it’s just a small quantity I wouldn’t worry. Change your carbon, filter watch fish/corals in your tank. Be ready for a large water change if anything looks off.

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, since it sounds fairly safe I will re-setup everything today. Thanks again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back