Whats the signs of a bad dosing pump head?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I calibrated my Neptune dos pump and got equal amounts of water (39mls) great, however. I have unequal water distribution when performing a manual water change at 790 mls in and 650 mls out. you see the water level in my sump is slowly rising

I have tightened the factory connectors again and used tef tap.

I've blown out the rodi lines with compressed air.

heated the ends of the tubing for a melty seal at the compression nuts

I have ordered quick connect fittings to replace the factory compression nuts.

I plan on taking it off today and looking at it. An swapping it out with the other to see if the problem follows the head.

So what are the signs of a bad dosing head
Screenshot_20210529-092300_Facebook.jpg

The black hose video is the flow of my suspect dosing head the red hose video is of the head that's giving me the correct flow amount. the only thing that has changed in my setup is a firmware/software update that i got from Neptune a few days ago. i only mention that because my trident is also reading all zeros after that update. could this update that i did be part of this problem? if so what should i do? a hard rest maybe.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured out my dos pump issue... There must be a blockage in the wastewater outline. Because I bye passed all the installed waste waster out rodi tubing an now I'm getting equal water in an out for my manual water change Now. So how do I unblock it? or do I just toss it?
I am assuming it's a bristle worm not sure tho, but here is my fix to prevent this from happening again and to aid future automatic water change people when setting up this feature. so odd cause it hit that line with compressed air at 140 psi.
194404768_944089553094797_7829213819859556692_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro tip is the line that stays under water you use a straight RODI adapter so you can swap out that portion of line. I get sponges and all sorts of random stuff growing in that portion of the line.

make sure the tube is sitting flush in dosing head and add a little lube,

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thxs. ill look into that idea,i assume you are talking about a quick connect coupler corect? I'm confident that the line is flush because I installed quick connects to the dos heads. i do not do automatic changes ( aka 1-2 GPD) I do manual 30 g a day when needed, BUT

I'm now wondering if water sitting in the lines caused this blockage, if this is the case, then I may go to the daily option just to keep water flowing.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back