Hydros Dosing best practice?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 gallons daily, about 21 ft away downstairs from it in the basement
My pumps are in the garage a little over 35ft from the tank and the tubing is run up through the attic and down to the tank. The Hydros does ATO and has been running a little over 2.5 years. The Intllab pumps I have had longer and the one used as a drian pump pulls water from the sump up through the attic down to the pump in the garage then back up through the attic down a wall and empties into the kitchen sink drain. I have done a little more than a gallon a day for a while but I do have the water change split into 4 times a day. I have then synced after the alkalinity testing and before the dosing is done and that is done 4 times a day. I think the Hydros pump is probably more durable than the Intllab pumps. I know the tubing has to be changes on the Intllabs about every 8 months. I only change the tubing once on the Hydros and after checking the old tubing I think I could have waited a lot longer. The Hydros dosing pumps are made by Kamoer. They did just anounce the Minnow controller that has 2 dosing pumps on it also. Those are smart dosers though and you would have to use the smart doser output which means you would need to use a schedule with them instead of the AWC output. That controller also has 4 sense ports on it beside the 2 dosing pumps.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pumps are in the garage a little over 35ft from the tank and the tubing is run up through the attic and down to the tank. The Hydros does ATO and has been running a little over 2.5 years. The Intllab pumps I have had longer and the one used as a drian pump pulls water from the sump up through the attic down to the pump in the garage then back up through the attic down a wall and empties into the kitchen sink drain. I have done a little more than a gallon a day for a while but I do have the water change split into 4 times a day. I have then synced after the alkalinity testing and before the dosing is done and that is done 4 times a day. I think the Hydros pump is probably more durable than the Intllab pumps. I know the tubing has to be changes on the Intllabs about every 8 months. I only change the tubing once on the Hydros and after checking the old tubing I think I could have waited a lot longer. The Hydros dosing pumps are made by Kamoer. They did just anounce the Minnow controller that has 2 dosing pumps on it also. Those are smart dosers though and you would have to use the smart doser output which means you would need to use a schedule with them instead of the AWC output. That controller also has 4 sense ports on it beside the 2 dosing pumps.
The hydros pump has a speed of 43ml/min. That‘s over 4h of running time. A versa pump will do 3 gallons in 4 minutes (900ml/min).
I may just run two versa pumps simultaneously in and out of the sump and keep the level steady so the ato won‘t care.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydros pump has a speed of 43ml/min. That‘s over 4h of running time. A versa pump will do 3 gallons in 4 minutes (900ml/min).
I may just run two versa pumps simultaneously in and out of the sump and keep the level steady so the ato won‘t care.
The Versa pumps can be setup to run when powered can't they? If so you can still use them you would need a XP8 output for each pump and a separate power supply for each pump.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new X4 starter pack. Mainly purchased to monitor leaks and shut down pump if detected (had the hose come off the return pump and dumped a lot of water on floor so now I am paranoid).

Question: best way to use my current setup to start dosing All For Reef? Which pump, what level of integration (standalone or controlled by X4)?
Youtube videos and r2r threads on the topic are outdated so not sure what to purchase next.

Thanks Roland
In the X4 starter pack you should also have the XP8 controller, any pump can be connected to the XP8, the Hydros 2ml/min works good, or you can use the Hydros Coralvue dosing pump that has to be connected to your X4 drive port, but you only have two drive ports, the neat thing is that you can connect to Wifi and there is a lot of things you can do with the pump like setting different measurements, alerts, times, and other things through the Hydros App.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the X4 starter pack you should also have the XP8 controller, any pump can be connected to the XP8, the Hydros 2ml/min works good, or you can use the Hydros Coralvue dosing pump that has to be connected to your X4 drive port, but you only have two drive ports, the neat thing is that you can connect to Wifi and there is a lot of things you can do with the pump like setting different measurements, alerts, times, and other things through the Hydros App.
The starter kit comes with a wifi power strip and the controller. The pro pack has an XP8 with the X4 or X3 depending on which pro pack it is.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Versa pumps can be setup to run when powered can't they? If so you can still use them you would need a XP8 output for each pump and a separate power supply for each pump.
Not looking to control pumps with a power strip. Looks like there is no integration with any pumps that would work for this. That sounds like a food reason to give apex / dos another look.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starter kit comes with a wifi power strip and the controller. The pro pack has an XP8 with the X4 or X3 depending on which pro pack it is.
Ok, the Pro Pack has the XP8 controller, that's the better one, because the power strip is not as good as the XP8 Power Controller, for the price will reflect that, the good thing is that you can connect many power strips to the controller, and in the App it will just be part of the collective.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking to control pumps with a power strip. Looks like there is no integration with any pumps that would work for this. That sounds like a food reason to give apex / dos another look.
The XP8 is not a power strip. It is a controller that happens to have 8 AC outlets for the 8 outputs. It has no inputs so It would need to be in a collective to control outputs that need inputs but all you need is a command bus cable and a couple of terminators with it. You would have to remove the Power pack that comes with the starter kit to use the XP8 but the XP8 can power several controllers over the bus.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the Pro Pack has the XP8 controller, that's the better one, because the power strip is not as good as the XP8 Power Controller, for the price will reflect that, the good thing is that you can connect many power strips to the controller, and in the App it will just be part of the collective.

The XP8 is not a power strip. It is a controller that happens to have 8 AC outlets for the 8 outputs. It has no inputs so It would need to be in a collective to control outputs that need inputs but all you need is a command bus cable and a couple of terminators with it. You would have to remove the Power pack that comes with the starter kit to use the XP8 but the XP8 can power several controllers over the bus.
With the XP8 Controller you can Control up to 8 More Hydros Power Strips or 40 AC outlets, and make them part of the collective.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the XP8 Controller you can Control up to 8 More Hydros Power Strips or 40 AC outlets, and make them part of the collective.
Any controller can control up to 8 wifi decice but that can be power strips or if it is a collective the wifi master can control up to 8 wifi devices. It does not need to be a XP8. The X4 can also do that but if they are in a collective together the total is still 8 for the complete collective.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back