OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't thank you guys enough for all of your fast and helpful responses. I wish I had enough knowledge to return the favor to some of these other forums but I'm only 3 years into the hobby. I do everything on my own so my knowledge will continue to grow, I'm sure

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the video again and your fish store might be right about it getting hurt in the rocks. It looks like a rock might have fell on the shark or the shark injured himself squeezing into some rocks and suffered nerve damage.

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just tested for stray current. Without the grounding probe installed it measured .5 volts. With it installed it measured .25 volts. So no stray currents. So he must have injured himself somehow :-( either from rocks or my puffer nipping at him

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's swim bladder Been in that situation
He probably deffintly ran into something see a lot with wrasse death roll
My bamboo shark went quick but my wrasse was actually there for a while week or two
It won't let me show u the videos I have I actually don't think actually swim bladder it's more that air maybe got caught on one side causing him to spend or that he hit it and is paralyzed causing the spinning

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's swim bladder Been in that situation
He probably deffintly ran into something see a lot with wrasse death roll
My bamboo shark went quick but my wrasse was actually there for a while week or two

Anything I can do to help him? He is still eating. He just has to roll over it

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anything I can do to help him? He is still eating. He just has to roll over it
I'm trying to do some research on it
But I wasn't successfully when happened to me but if he keeps eating u should b good but I'll have to see if u can reverse if it's the air u might b able to I know when fish are deeper in the ocean when they bring them up that can happen air getting caught and u have to acclaimed them differnt hence why they are more expensive but I'll do some searching

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have no good news for u very sorry that's my 2 cents I hope I am wrong but from what I read with treating that isn't good either so I'm going to let some one else express there opinions but those are mine sorry for bad news best of luck

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought was stray voltage. Second thought was nervous system damage or internal damage possibly by a rock shifting and pinning/hitting him at one time. Third is chronic stress from constantly getting picked on by tank mates. In my honest opinion, I would consult a vet if possible. Potentially put him on ceftazidime or another injectible antibiotic (preferably not baytril as it irritates the skin and can cause inflammation of the puncture site) and a steroid?

saltysilverado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally sharks shouldn't be kept with triggers puffers and angels because they like to nip at the Sharks eyes and also there shouldn't be more than 30lbs of live rock in that tank if you would like to keep sharks successfully. Their abdomen is easily scratched by the live rock and they need a lot of bottom open swimming room. Between the stress of the puffer going after him and the small open swimming room he might be over stressed.

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately my local fish store told me he'd be fine in my tank with the fish I have when I bought the shark egg.

I do think I know what's wrong now. It's an internal parasite. Maybe a tapeworm. I thought my bird wrasse had died so moved rock to get him out. He hadn't moved in days. He surprisingly was still alive but looked like he was being eaten from the inside out. I took him out and put him in QT with prazipro. A white worm has slowly started working its way out of his intestinal tract. My bird wrasse is still alive. Poor guy :-(

It can't be coincidence that my two bottom dwellers are acting ill. I think it's safe to assume that my shark may have the same parasite inside. I've added prazipro to the tank my shark is in, increased aeration, turned off skimmer and removed carbon. My shark is still eating so praying he pulls through this. I wish I would have dosed my tank days ago but hate jumping into medicating fish until I go through process of elimination.

My plans are to get a 500-1000 gallon aquarium in the next year or so and will move my shark to that tank if he pulls through this. Breaks my heart as I'm so attached to him. I also rearranged my rock to give him more swimming space. He likes to swim through the PVC pipes so I added another long one to give him more hiding places.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should move the shark until it is swimming fine. It is swimming pretty erratic and could hurt itself by crashing into the rocks or glass. Here is a cheap QT set up which shpuldnt cost more then $25. It is not my set up but I do something similar. I just use a pump and flex tube to pump water into the bucket with media and let it overflow into the pool. Keep us updated.

image.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back