What's wrong with my bamboo cat shark?

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bamboo cat shark that is a year old. Over the last few days he spins (barrel roll) constantly while trying to swim. Something is wrong but I don't know what.

All parameters are perfect. Salinity is perfect, no wires exposed by my jet. I wondered if maybe my grounding unit was going bad so I took it off. He is still spinning around and having a hard time getting food. He eats it if he is able to spin over it, but it's a struggle. Other fish in my tank are acting normal.

I feel so bad for him. What else can I do?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh... I have zero experience with sharks of any kind so i suppose I'm not much help. Let's see if we can figure this out with process of elimination. I know you said he's a year old, but how long have you had him? Any new additions to the tank or changes made recently?

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh... I have zero experience with sharks of any kind so i suppose I'm not much help. Let's see if we can figure this out with process of elimination. I know you said he's a year old, but how long have you had him? Any new additions to the tank or changes made recently?

I've had him since he was still in his egg. He hatched in November 2014. Never had any problems with him before. I've read that they are sensitive to nitrates but all my levels are good. Also read that an exposed wire on jet or something not being grounded can cause this response. It seems like that is the issue but I don't see any exposed wires. Thanks for your help!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check for stray voltage......easy to do with a multimeter?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him since he was still in his egg. He hatched in November 2014. Never had any problems with him before. I've read that they are sensitive to nitrates but all my levels are good. Also read that an exposed wire on jet or something not being grounded can cause this response. It seems like that is the issue but I don't see any exposed wires. Thanks for your help!

Do you have a grounding probe on the tank? I know the bigger sharks are very sensitive to electrical signals, so having stray voltage leaking into the tank from somewhere could be causing a big problem. I'm not sure how to test for that aaaannnd redfish totaly answered that for us! lol

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a grounding probe on the tank? I know the bigger sharks are very sensitive to electrical signals, so having stray voltage leaking into the tank from somewhere could be causing a big problem. I'm not sure how to test for that aaaannnd redfish totaly answered that for us! lol

Ive always had one one my tank. I wondered if it was going bad so going to buy a new one today.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to do, even with a very inexpensive multimeter (HERE's one from Harbor Freight for 5.99). Set the multimeter to AC Volts. Put one probe in the tank (doesn't matter if it's the red one or black one). Take the other probe to a good ground.....the round hole in a grounded outlet. Read the volt on the meter. Note that have some small amount (say up to three volts or so), is normal and comes from induced voltage......produced by the spinning magnets in pumps, etc.

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to do, even with a very inexpensive multimeter (HERE's one from Harbor Freight for 5.99). Set the multimeter to AC Volts. Put one probe in the tank (doesn't matter if it's the red one or black one). Take the other probe to a good ground.....the round hole in a grounded outlet. Read the volt on the meter. Note that have some small amount (say up to three volts or so), is normal and comes from induced voltage......produced by the spinning magnets in pumps, etc.

Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes!

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always had one one my tank. I wondered if it was going bad so going to buy a new one today.

Before you go off to buy a new grounding probe, still check for stray voltage. A grounding probe plus stray voltage = current....and it's current that kills.

To test for stray voltage, remove your grounding probe when testing.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to repeat what I've said in other posts about grounding probes.....they don't protect your fish, they protect you, and correctly used, should be in conjunction with CGFI. THis is the only way they protect both you and your fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved this thread into the Predatory Fish forum to get input from shark keepers. Also, [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a video? How does the bottom of the shark look? Stray current is something you should look into. Parasites is something which can be causing this too. If you have no stray current, treat your tank with prazi. You have either a bamboo shark or catshark. It is not a bamboo catshark. I am sending you a PM.

Last edited:

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Happened to me to and mine resulted in bad news.

Mine jumped out one day and hit his side. So I belive that resulted in a swim bladder having air or being basically parlized so since that's all guess work I had a Scott's fairly do the same thing he could of swam and hit his side worng or fish attack them but he was spinning and no longer able to swim except in circle they basically starve out very sad so those are two inncedents that happened a video would really help for me thou sorry for bad news
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449418732.272796.jpg
miss him all the time

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me to and mine resulted in bad news.

Mine jumped out one day and hit his side. So I belive that resulted in a swim bladder having air or being basically parlized so since that's all guess work I had a Scott's fairly do the same thing he could of swam and hit his side worng or fish attack them but he was spinning and no longer able to swim except in circle they basically starve out very sad so those are two inncedents that happened a video would really help for me thou sorry for bad news
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449418732.272796.jpg
miss him all the time

Here's a video...

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local fish store said he may have injured himself due to me having too much rock in the tank. My big puffer fish has nipped at the tips of his fans as well. He said that could have injured him enough to cause that

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a video? How does the bottom of the shark look? Stray current is something you should look into. Parasites is something which can be causing this too. If you have no stray current, treat your tank with prazi. You have either a bamboo shark or catshark. It is not a bamboo catshark. I am sending you a PM.

Just uploaded the video. I was told by my fish store it was a bamboo cat shark but if it's only one then I'm guessing it's a bamboo shark

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go off to buy a new grounding probe, still check for stray voltage. A grounding probe plus stray voltage = current....and it's current that kills.

To test for stray voltage, remove your grounding probe when testing.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to repeat what I've said in other posts about grounding probes.....they don't protect your fish, they protect you, and correctly used, should be in conjunction with CGFI. THis is the only way they protect both you and your fish.

I hope I don't sound too stupid here, can you please explain what CGFI is?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Ground Fault Interrupt....actually GFCI. It's a special outlet (or entire circuit) that can detect unwanted current leaks. They are now code with all exterior outlets, and within six feet of water sources (bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms.) If it's a single outlet, it looks like this:
GFCI.jpg

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Ground Fault Interrupt....actually GFCI. It's a special outlet (or entire circuit) that can detect unwanted current leaks. They are now code with all exterior outlets, and within six feet of water sources (bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms.) If it's a single outlet, it looks like this:
GFCI.jpg
Thank you so much! Yes I have some of those in my house but not on the one for my fish tank! I'm going to get that switched out ASAP! I just picked up the multimeter. Going to test with the grounding probe off and then reinstall it

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats crazy. Definitely check for stray current. If you can't check for stray current now unplug your pumps and see if his behavior changes. I will share this video with a few people.

You have a brown banded bamboo. If you are able to get a kiddy pool, qt him, give him prazi and see if he bounces back. The puffer picking at it could lead to a infection or the puffer might take out an eye or two.

I have seen similar spinning behavior with pups but that shark is a nice size. Maybe @Ppoeschl can offer some advice.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back