Whats wrong with my refugium

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
& happy new years eve!

One of the issues I've been dealing with in my new (7 month old) 220g display mixed reef, is my fuge.

For some reason all sorts of algae is growing in there, hair algae, turf algae, red algae except the one algae i actually want growing. Which is the Chaeto

I definitely have enough nutrients for the chaeto to grow. flow and light are good i think, this thing used to grow like crazy in my last tank w same light and slightly less flow.

Its only a small ball, ive had it in there since i started the tank. No growth AT ALL, could it be dead?

Either way, i cleaned out most of the nasty algae that was growing in the fuge. & moved the ball of chaeto into a small 3d printed shroom box to keep it low in the fuge. Also ordered some fresh sea lettuce to try out as well

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
& happy new years eve!

One of the issues I've been dealing with in my new (7 month old) 220g display mixed reef, is my fuge.

For some reason all sorts of algae is growing in there, hair algae, turf algae, red algae except the one algae i actually want growing. Which is the Chaeto

I definitely have enough nutrients for the chaeto to grow. flow and light are good i think, this thing used to grow like crazy in my last tank w same light and slightly less flow.

Its only a small ball, ive had it in there since i started the tank. No growth AT ALL, could it be dead?

Either way, i cleaned out most of the nasty algae that was growing in the fuge. & moved the ball of chaeto into a small 3d printed shroom box to keep it low in the fuge. Also ordered some fresh sea lettuce to try out as well
You could add some clean up crew into your fug. Stuff that eats that nasty algae, mixture of snails that’s what I did.

They won’t eat the Chaeto and then it can take off. I personally like Caulerpa better than chaeto and it’s always done better in my fuge!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto grows like a weed because of the Neptune Gro light and dose chaeto gro once a week.

20220827_204318.jpg

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add some clean up crew into your fug. Stuff that eats that nasty algae, mixture of snails that’s what I did.

They won’t eat the Chaeto and then it can take off. I personally like Caulerpa better than chaeto and it’s always done better in my fuge!
The CUC is a great idea. Dont know why i didnt think of that.

if i could find caulerpa locally i would love to try it also. Always heard its a great macro to feed your fish

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto grows like a weed because of the Neptune Gro light and dose chaeto gro once a week.

20220827_204318.jpg
Love that sump setup. The light is literally inches over the water which is awesome.

My light is raised higher, since its not really an aquarium light, i dont really want it getting wet.
My current light should grow the chaeto fine though. Maybe what im missing is to dose something like chaetogro or iron.

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'd probably need more watts on the algae for it to grow well, I use an adjustable 35 to 70W full spectrum LED panel, set 2 inches away from the plants. if you're using something that's around 15 to 20W, it isn't enough. At <20W, only low light algae will grow, such as slime, green hair or bryopsis. These algae are then growing on your chaeto, and preventing light from reaching the Chaeto's cells. With the higher wattage, the light can then penetrate and reach the chaeto, and it'll grow. Also tiny hermit crabs (or feeder shrimps or some other tiny amphipod grazers) are the only thing that can try keep your chaeto algae free, since snails cant climb or graze off of chaeto. Once the chaeto is overgrown with other algae, it's not too useful. Personally, once I switch from my 17W to the 70W, the chaeto exploded in my scrubber, till ulva over grew it and I finally stop using chaeto. Ulva needs more light than chaeto, and will grow off the glass and anchors well to substrate, whereas chaeto is free floating.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'd probably need more watts on the algae for it to grow well, I use an adjustable 35 to 70W full spectrum LED panel, set 2 inches away from the plants. if you're using something that's around 15 to 20W, it isn't enough. At <20W, only low light algae will grow, such as slime, green hair or bryopsis. These algae are then growing on your chaeto, and preventing light from reaching the Chaeto's cells. With the higher wattage, the light can then penetrate and reach the chaeto, and it'll grow. Also tiny hermit crabs (or feeder shrimps or some other tiny amphipod grazers) are the only thing that can try keep your chaeto algae free, since snails cant climb or graze off of chaeto. Once the chaeto is overgrown with other algae, it's not too useful. Personally, once I switch from my 17W to the 70W, the chaeto exploded in my scrubber, till ulva over grew it and I finally stop using chaeto. Ulva needs more light than chaeto, and will grow off the glass and anchors well to substrate, whereas chaeto is free floating.
65406279-E7F8-475F-99F9-089E8C06AA99.png

This is the light i use.. 150w, so i dont think theres an issue there.. lol

But yeah i do have algae growth on the actual chaeto itself. Mostly red slime and gha. I cleaned it off and put it back in the fuge about 2 weeks ago.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hair algae, turf algae, and red algae growing in the display as well, or just in your fuge?

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65406279-E7F8-475F-99F9-089E8C06AA99.png

This is the light i use.. 150w, so i dont think theres an issue there.. lol

But yeah i do have algae growth on the actual chaeto itself. Mostly red slime and gha. I cleaned it off and put it back in the fuge about 2 weeks ago.
ah, OK, in that case, the chaeto itself needs to be clean of epiphytes, since the light is having difficulty penetrating. I find that most micro algae will die out within 3 days of darkness. Hair algae takes about 2 weeks to die out. Place your chaeto in a completely dark place for 3 days, to kill off the micro epiphytes, then move it back into the light. The larger hair algae will still be on there, but it may be enough clean area for the chaeto to photosynthesize. next issue is nutrient. after the chaeto is clean, turn oiff the main display lights for a day, other plants are probably competing with the chaeto. then see if theres any growth in chaeto. it may take a day or 2. finally, plant fertilizer. you may need a little Fe or K, thought I doubt it. but you might as well try just this one time. Tetra makes a liquid 0.0.3 fertilizer, get a small bottle and just add a little. dont do the full dose for a planted freshwater tank. youre just looking for some new buds to form. the last thing is water flow. the water needs to be moving like for LPS.
I'm sure youll get it worked out in a few days.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, def dose iron (chaeto grow from brightwell is great)

put flow through it if it does not have any, I have a tiny pump that points directly through the center, I pull out two handfuls a week

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hair algae, turf algae, and red algae growing in the display as well, or just in your fuge?
Yes there is definitely a good amount hair/turf in my display, not much of the red stuff.

My PO4 was also over 1ppm for quite some time, so that definitely spurred the nuisance algae growth.

I just got PO4 levels under control with GFO, and reduced feeding.

But, I want to get my fuge running correct, so that chaeto and other macros are consuming N & P s not relying on GFO, NOPOX etc.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, OK, in that case, the chaeto itself needs to be clean of epiphytes, since the light is having difficulty penetrating. I find that most micro algae will die out within 3 days of darkness. Hair algae takes about 2 weeks to die out. Place your chaeto in a completely dark place for 3 days, to kill off the micro epiphytes, then move it back into the light. The larger hair algae will still be on there, but it may be enough clean area for the chaeto to photosynthesize. next issue is nutrient. after the chaeto is clean, turn oiff the main display lights for a day, other plants are probably competing with the chaeto. then see if theres any growth in chaeto. it may take a day or 2. finally, plant fertilizer. you may need a little Fe or K, thought I doubt it. but you might as well try just this one time. Tetra makes a liquid 0.0.3 fertilizer, get a small bottle and just add a little. dont do the full dose for a planted freshwater tank. youre just looking for some new buds to form. the last thing is water flow. the water needs to be moving like for LPS.
I'm sure youll get it worked out in a few days.

May be definitely trying the blackout technique in my sump. That is a pretty good idea, just to kill off all that nasty algae and leave a clean fuge to start fresh.

As for the DT, I will have to do more research before trying it. I am already dealing with some corals that aren't too happy. Wouldn't want to upset them anymore by doing a blackout.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, def dose iron (chaeto grow from brightwell is great)

put flow through it if it does not have any, I have a tiny pump that points directly through the center, I pull out two handfuls a week
Flow is definitely strong in the fuge but I am not sure how much of that flow is actually making it through the chaeto. I may also try this.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, i do dose trace elements every few days. Which i think contains iron

Edit- just looked up ingredients and it does not.

Should i be dosing iron?
I dose chaeto grow to mine and it took off after. Iron is an important element for chaeto, but...

I do not test my iron, and have not done an ICP to know where mine is at. Ive been doing a daily dose of 1ml to my 90gallon total vollume for a low bioload tank with what was a half a golfball size chaeto that is now softball size.

Regular dosing might not be at all necessary, but if its struggling, my guess is your iron may be depleted

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to hear your report back on how well the dosing goes. I'm also a huge fan of caulerpa in tanks. It is definitely not very popular where I live so I have to order mine online. I really like live-plants.com to buy algae. I did the prolifera before and it was a powerhouse.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to hear your report back on how well the dosing goes. I'm also a huge fan of caulerpa in tanks. It is definitely not very popular where I live so I have to order mine online. I really like live-plants.com to buy algae. I did the prolifera before and it was a powerhouse.
I got some caulepra for free from an LFS that considered it a pest in on live rock shipment.

3 leaves became 12 in 2 weeks, its part of the reason I ha e to dose phosphate, it honestly seems more effective than the chaeto.

I hear the reason for its unpopularity is sexual reproduction risk, but I assume if I keep pulling "leaves" when they fully grow after a couple weeks, that should prevent it.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some caulepra for free from an LFS that considered it a pest in on live rock shipment.

3 leaves became 12 in 2 weeks, its part of the reason I ha e to dose phosphate, it honestly seems more effective than the chaeto.

I hear the reason for its unpopularity is sexual reproduction risk, but I assume if I keep pulling "leaves" when they fully grow after a couple weeks, that should prevent it.
I find it funny people consider it such a bad thing to have. I agree, it is very efficient at removing nutrients! From my research, in the event the algae goes sexual, it seems like the most common problem is lack of oxygen. It also seems like filter socks can help reduce what's in the water. I had caulerpa prolifera for 6 months straight and didn't have that one go sexual on me at all. Back then I hoped something would happen so I could get first hand research but it didn't work out for me :)

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back