What's wrong with my zoas?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this just reaching for light or something else? These have been growing bunched together and multiplying happily for a couple of months and now this thin and stretched out stalk for 2 weeks. I did get an upgraded light not long ago, but I obviously expected them to be doing even better than before. Could this be more than just light issues? Another zoa is starting to do the same thing. All water parameters are fine.

1618960098077.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 @footgal I thought perhaps you could help. Although it may be unrelated, these already tall palys I got last week have done something similar in the past few hours. The stalks used to be much wider.

1618961104167.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happens when I buy zoanthids too

its called an extended hydrodynamic profile vs a low or flattened HP

i don’t know what causes it I even tried turning up flow. Agreed palys and zos should be short, squat, interconnected with thick linking skin not tall and individualized

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 @footgal I thought perhaps you could help. Although it may be unrelated, these already tall palys I got last week have done something similar in the past few hours. The stalks used to be much wider.

1618961104167.png
Hi! You have a lighting issue. Increasing the PAR slowly either by increasing your light intensity or moving the zoas up should fix the problem in the next few weeks to create that short, thick mat you're looking for :)

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! You have a lighting issue. Increasing the PAR slowly either by increasing your light intensity or moving the zoas up should fix the problem in the next few weeks to create that short, thick mat you're looking for :)
Thanks for responding. What I don't understand is that they are in the same place now with a brighter light. Could it be the color mix?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happens when I buy zoanthids too

its called an extended hydrodynamic profile vs a low or flattened HP

i don’t know what causes it I even tried turning up flow. Agreed palys and zos should be short, squat, interconnected with thick linking skin not tall and individualized
Thanks!

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this just reaching for light or something else? These have been growing bunched together and multiplying happily for a couple of months and now this thin and stretched out stalk for 2 weeks. I did get an upgraded light not long ago, but I obviously expected them to be doing even better than before. Could this be more than just light issues? Another zoa is starting to do the same thing. All water parameters are fine.

1618960098077.png

Perfectly healthy.

Zoas stretch when nutrients get low or lighting is too low. Nitrate and light levels are darn near in symmetry with each other when it comes to zoas.

Back