Whats wrong witn my hammer?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer today, one of the heads not extending. And i can’t tell whats wrong with it. My mag is 1400, my calcium is 430, my alk 8.5. And my ph is 8.2 stable. I feed 2-3x a week. Red sea ab+. And reef roids, reef chilli fed yesterday. Salinity is 1.026. Phosphate 0.18 and nitrate 9.6

I havent done a water change in few weeks, as iv been dosing all for reef, and its been going good. My hammer used to extend BIG. Really cant tell whats wrong with it. I attached a picture of how it looked like but yeah.

and thats the video of how 1 head not opening.

IMG_6670.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume other corals are ok?

Completely normal to me - depending on flow/lighting, they will open & retract. Your tank params look fine. I would just relax a little. Secret bonus to faster / better growth: stop looking at the tank!
All corals are okay, its just this head, retracted and doesnt want to extend. Weird

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol — like I said, relax and enjoy the tank — nothing weird about it to me. They might get irritated by flow/light/etc.
I dont think relaxing is the case anymore fed ab+ yesterday. And woke up to this like melted?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to it? How can that happen since Sunday?
I have no idea what happened to it, i target fed red sea ab+, and i woke up to this. Not sure what you can gather from the video. All my other lps are healthy and growing

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damage in is one place, like something bit it or stung it, is that possible, anything close to it?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - that’s not normal and sorry to hear . I have a few colonies of hammer for almost a decade now. Same tank, similar flow patterns, no fish picking on it; yet some heads retracted for months but not melted with no explanation. They eventually opened back up. I accidentally killed one head with Kalk though. What worked for me was to make sure Mg is on the higher end and yours is 1400 so should be good.

If it deteriorated, you can try to get some dips - perhaps some bugs are irritating / eating it but the fact that all other corals are fine and the other heads look healthy doesn’t give a lot of clues.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_6670.jpeg
    IMG_6670.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - that’s not normal and sorry to hear . I have a few colonies of hammer for almost a decade now. Same tank, similar flow patterns, no fish picking on it; yet some heads retracted for months but not melted with no explanation. They eventually opened back up. I accidentally killed one head with Kalk though. What worked for me was to make sure Mg is on the higher end and yours is 1400 so should be good.

If it deteriorated, you can try to get some dips - perhaps some bugs are irritating / eating it but the fact that all other corals are fine and the other heads look healthy doesn’t give a lot of clues.

Good luck!
Just want to update this thread. After the 4 hours of KFC dip. The hammer is recovering few days after the difference is insane .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back