What's your favorite fish food for tiny fish?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your favorite food for tiny fish? I'm thinking juvenile clowns, barnacle blennies, etc.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with one of the frozen or liquid fish eggs. There are several to choose from from Roe, oyster,etc.
I see frozen rotifer, baby brine fresh and frozen.
Oh forgot about rotifers.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured this out accidentally yesterday, my barnacle blenny loved Reef Roids. Not sure if that's a healthy option. Lol

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...

Does anyone have experience with small sized food that neutrally buoyant? I have seen it argued that standard fare pellets can't be neutrally buoyant because they will sink or float depending on the specific gravity of the water. I hope someone can recommend an available frozen or processed food that is both small and neutrally buoyant!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following...

Does anyone have experience with small sized food that neutrally buoyant? I have seen it argued that standard fare pellets can't be neutrally buoyant because they will sink or float depending on the specific gravity of the water. I hope someone can recommend an available frozen or processed food that is both small and neutrally buoyant!
Golden Pearls are a fry food that come close. They float a bit at first, then soak in water and sink, but they sink slowly and drift around in the current first. The largest size works for smallish fish, and then they have tiny sizes for fry.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw Algae Barn has something called Dragon Roe.
Haven't tried it but who knows?
I'd bet that "Dragon Roe" is just yellow dyed capelin roe The claimed size is about right - 400 to 700 microns. The Omega-3 Fatty Acids claim is correct. The sustainably sourced claim would be correct - capelin fisheries are monitored closely due to their importance for other marine life. And, the Dragon reference is probably a reference to the wings that capelin have - they're "flying fish".

An Asian food market is a good source for capelin roe. There it is usually dyed red. I used to get a frozen 1 lb block of it for $10, but for some reason they only currently have it "fresh", and a lot more expensive. Your LFS also has it in small frozen cubes from a few different vendors and sold as "Fish Eggs".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back