Whats your favorite montipora digitata?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I first brought home my first SPS coral, it was a frag of orange montipora digitata. I was super stoked! I threw the bag into the sump to acclimate for a bit then I opened the bag and gently took out a frag of digitata. I had my two part epoxy ready and new exactly where I wanted to place the small frag. To me this is a great beginner coral for its easy to transition and they photo acclimate well and it's still a cool addition to any reef. So..........whats your favorite digitata? Mine has to be the ROAB from (AKA Reefer On A Budget AKA Alex)

IMG_0896_1_zps7e5c50a6.jpg

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone talks about how easy these corals are to keep but they don't do well in my tanks for some reason. They do fine for months and one day just crap out. Never figured out why.

My favorite is the forest fire with the ROAB a close second.

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium dosing seems to make my digis happier. I had colonies wax and wane, but aside from making sure you don't have the dreaded Monti eating nudi (which usually don't go after non plating montipora but can irritate digis) stable alk, ca and good flow are the recipe for success ( like most sps)...

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wont live in my tank either. I have a couple tiny holdouts on my red digi colony, not dying anymore but not growing. I also have a sliver of sunset monti growing in some shade? its wierd.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I use to know a guy that grew digi's so fast he'd break the branches off as they over grew his reef and would throw the branches into his calcium reactor.........I always thought that was pretty cool...LOL

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a plain old orange polyp digi in a tank mishap that was one of our faves for the past year or so. What was cool was that it tended to grow downward but always staying like 1/4 - 1/2 inch off the rocks so that it looked like it undulated or flowed and looked kinda creepy, like a tarantula. Took up a lot of real estate tho. Growth rate was variable, but when it was on you could see it elongate from one day to the next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have the Pink Smoothie? Not too sure if its a digitata but would love to see a colony in someone's reef.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Watch Guy thanks for posting such a sweet colony!! That one is on the list to get.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%

Back