Whats your favorite sand?

lou dog420

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2016
Messages
778
Reaction score
589
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to purchase sand for a new reeftank, Whats your favorite?
 
I think a lot depends on if you plan for sand sifting and/or burrowing fish :)
 
I bought sand with a slightly larger grain so it would work better for burrowing. If you plan on a wrasse that will bury itself in the sand, that might be too coarse. Does that make sense?
 
I bought sand with a slightly larger grain so it would work better for burrowing. If you plan on a wrasse that will bury itself in the sand, that might be too coarse. Does that make sense?
Yes it does. I was considering the caribsea Fiji pink, seems to be pretty popular.
 
I bought the Bimini Pink because it had more grain variation, but I was planning on a jawfish at the time.
 
I have the Carib Sea fine sugar like sand, I think it's called Oolite. It's a PIA to keep clean, but my Melanarus probably loves it.
 
I have the Carib Sea fine sugar like sand, I think it's called Oolite. It's a PIA to keep clean, but my Melanarus probably loves it.
I'm gonna have pretty decent flow so probably not a good idea for me
 
Your sand should stay put, regardless of flow. Don't let that be a deterrent. You don't want a powerhead blasting into your sand, regardless of grain size :D
 
Your sand should stay put, regardless of flow. Don't let that be a deterrent. You don't want a powerhead blasting into your sand, regardless of grain size :D
2 mp40s on a 4 foot tank wouldn't blow fine sand around?
 
If I remember right (in my 200) I used 4 x 40lb bags of Caribsea Seaflor special grade reef sand and a 2 x 40lb bags of Caribsea ocean direct live sand (oolite version). The Seaflor is a little course but none of my wrasses have an issue with it. High flow so didn't want all sugar sand blowing around. At least when I got mine foster & smith had the best price and it was free shipping (240 pounds worth). Much cheaper than anything locally. UPS was hating me because they shipped it in 6 separate oversized boxes that arrived smushed.
 
I went with the black Hawaiian, it corse but looks good.
 
I'm gonna have pretty decent flow so probably not a good idea for me
It took a little trial and error, but I have it where the PH's can stir up the detrius without creating a sand storm. The only problem I run into is when I do a wc and siphon the sand, it's hard to siphon out the detrius without taking too much sand along with it.
 
It took a little trial and error, but I have it where the PH's can stir up the detrius without creating a sand storm. The only problem I run into is when I do a wc and siphon the sand, it's hard to siphon out the detrius without taking too much sand along with it.

That's what sand sifting fish and snails are for. :D
 
I went with the Natures Ocean bio-activ live aragonite in black and love it.
20160416_110854.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new