Whats your preferred background?

VanHalen

Runnin With The DevilFish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's favorite thing to do for the back of the tank? I usually paint mine black but am thinking of going with white or something more reflective on the next tank.

I just wanted to get some other ideas.

raider77

True Fan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to paint mine black. I did see a a tank that was painted green and blue kinda blended together that looked really nice.

CHAR3

ZOAKEEPERS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spray Foam Stuff Or Paint?

:cool: I done all mine in black and I like the look. I've seen alot of tanks lately with the sprayed foam inside on the back of the glass. Some are over two years old. And it still looks like sprayed foam. I guess they can stick stuff in it. (which looks crappy to me) But the coraline doesn't seem to grow or cover it very easily. I dont know, call me old school, I like the painted backs.

OP
OP
VanHalen

VanHalen

Runnin With The DevilFish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd tried that foam backing before and it came loose after 1 month :( Talk about a mess!!!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have alot of equipment on my tank, only a HOB millennium power filter and a Aqua-C remora skimmer......So there isn't a whole lot that shows through besides that most of it is green type algae that my conch love to eat, and then large patches of coralline.....

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I ever do another tank..I'm going to smash up some rock into rubble..and glue it all over the back..so the back is just rock.... anyone ever try that?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be cool to try Cz.....What would be nice as well if you could do that with a few larger pieces so you had ledges taht you could attach zoa and palys to then let them grow all over it.....That would be sweet...

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...going to be a while til I can try it... we don't have anywhere to put another tank til we sell our house and buy another/get one built...and we won't be ready to sell for about a year... definitely want to do that though...heh... I think it will look sweet!

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a mirror backing look stupid? That would give the illusion of more depth.

Mirror would stress the fish out. They dont like looking at themselves, they think its another fish, so they would keep on attacking the glass. My sixlie does it sometimes when the sun shines on my tank just right. :)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a mirror on an old tank, the fish didn't seem to mind. I didn't have highly aggressive fish though either....

CHAR3

ZOAKEEPERS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubble Rock

The rubble rock sounds like an interesting concept. And one I have't seen before. Almost peaks my interest to try it on maybe a thirty. But what would be the best thing to attach it with? A glue? or a masonary compound? What do you think?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you did it with enough pure silicone it would be ok....Or maybe a thick aquatic safe epoxy....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back