Do you prefer to get your fish juveniles or full adult?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to buy my fish while they’re small so I can enjoy more time with them. This also means they stress out more with larger fish and aren’t readily able to defend themselves or their territory. I picked up this Hippo that is roughly the size of a quarter but holds his own and is getting along with everyone. Looking forward to a long time with it!
IMG_7539.jpeg

What does everyone else prefer?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I figured if they are a jerk as a baby they will be a jerk as an adult. If that’s the case baby is cheaper and I feel easier to return of rehome. Plus watching them grow is neat.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puppies and little fish. Love growing them out. With adults you have no way of knowing how old they really are. My hippo was tiny when I got it. The hippo and a yellow tail damsel used to hang out together and the damsel was larger than the hippo so it was fun to watch them together. Mine has been with me for 5 years now and gets along great with all the other tangs.
This it it today. dirty glass and fish won't stop for photos so not a great image.
PXL_20240317_153015949~2.jpg

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puppies and little fish. Love growing them out. With adults you have no way of knowing how old they really are. My hippo was tiny when I got it. The hippo and a yellow tail damsel used to hang out together and the damsel was larger than the hippo so it was fun to watch them together. Mine has been with me for 5 years now and gets along great with all the other tangs.
This it it today. dirty glass and fish won't stop for photos so not a great image.
Wow! That hippo grew a lot in 5 years! Fingers crossed mine gets as stunning as yours!

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer baby fish, they grow up quick. I bought a baby lawnmower blenny, he was about 3/4” long the smallest I’ve ever seen, the lfs worker said the same. About a year later now he is about 3” long

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to buy my fish while they’re small so I can enjoy more time with them. This also means they stress out more with larger fish and aren’t readily able to defend themselves or their territory. I picked up this Hippo that is roughly the size of a quarter but holds his own and is getting along with everyone. Looking forward to a long time with it!
IMG_7539.jpeg

Juveniles! Love watching them grow!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love baby hippos! Probably the cutest baby fish ever! Mine is about 2 inches now, got him tiny too

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had very bad luck with the already quarantined places and there’s a couple of the type of fish I have that are wild caught so already larger size. I normally like babies that I can watch grow but I’ve gotten an amazing deal on some larger tangs recently and am extremely happy that I took the chance. A lot do our hobby is based on faith. Love all my fish no matter what size I got them at!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juveniles for my home reef, but I have a place in my heart for those forgotten big boys and girls at the aquarium store. I found a large male Pink Square Anthias that is the most popular fish in my classroom 175 mixed reef. The poor guy was in a medium sized cube at the store.
IMG_20240218_041826.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching fish grow up is one of my favorite things about keeping a tank. As they grow up it's a wonderful appearance to watch them grow into their adult look and fill in their personality

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to buy juveniles when possible, or at least sub adults. Sometimes that isn't feasible, the fish don't come in that young or small, or a small species won't be able to hold their own in the aquarium. But younger and smaller whenever possible.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
always juvenile or captive bred(as best as i can since some fish have yet to reproduce in captivity)

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7539.jpeg

Juveniles for sure for me. They tend to acclimate better to aquarium life. Often times you need a 200 plus gallon tank for some adults . I agree that at times the adults are trading in to the LFS to be rehomed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back