Do You Like To Socialize or Are You a Hermit Reefer?

Do You Like To Socialize In Person With Other Reefers?

• Yes!

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No Thanks

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With swaps and trade shows in full swing, some Reefers like to get out and see old friends and pickup some new things. However some Reefers prefer to stay away, and keep to themselves. There’s no one way to reef, and we all enjoy different things about it. I actually used to keep to myself, but life changes made me more sociable.

So, do you like to socialize in person with other Reefers, or prefer to keep to yourself?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people come over to buy frags or if i go to them to get frags i love to chit chat. Some defiantly do not like to.

Had a guy come over to buy a torch he showed up and did say hardly anything. Showed him the frag he pointed it out paid me cash and he left. Didnt even say thanks. :upside-down-face:

But when other come over my wifes like "can you not talk to this guy for an hour".:face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people come over to buy frags or if i go to them to get frags i love to chit chat. Some defiantly do not like to.

Had a guy come over to buy a torch he showed up and did say hardly anything. Showed him the frag he pointed it out paid me cash and he left. Didnt even say thanks. :upside-down-face:

But when other come over my wifes like "can you not talk to this guy for an hour".:face-with-tears-of-joy:
I’m the same way. I started asking if they want to come in, or just pickup and go. Otherwise it ends up being an hour visit usually.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I first got in the hobby, there was pretty much just the store where I bought all my gear at. I got to know the employees there and once in a while another saltwater person would come in. There was no internet at the time, and only one store in town.
I finally talked with another reefer that mention a couple other stores, but the closest one was 30+ miles away and the other 60+ miles away.
So socializing didn't happen for me for the first 6-7 years.
So I guess I learned to do it on my own.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a hermit/awkward small-talker. BUT, every time I have sold to local reefers, they have been so kind and interesting.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on 5 or 6 forums but thats all the fish socializing I do. I do not belong to any Reef clubs but am invited to some occasionally and I spoke at 4 or 5 of them.

We do a lot of socializing, just not for fish.

But I have no friends with fish near me so the only way I can discuss them is on forums.
Most of the people who come over ask things like: Can you put a goldfish in there? or how do you apply the colors on those fish? :anguished-face:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on 5 or 6 forums but thats all the fish socializing I do. I do not belong to any Reef clubs but am invited to some occasionally and I spoke at 4 or 5 of them.

But I have no friends with fish near me so the only way I can discuss them is on forums.
Most of the people who come over ask things like: Can you put a goldfish in there? or how do you apply the colors on those fish? :anguished-face:
Don’t forget, “It must be hard to take care of” and “Is that salt water”? :confused:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats right. My Grand Kids are coming over for Easter so I have to put in a sunken ship bubbler they bought me 5 years ago and they loo for it. Then I have to clean all the salt spray from my lights.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Extreme introvert. Don't mind talking about tanks, but I only in small group settings. Any more than 2 or 3 other people and I become a wallflower.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. I either hit it off with someone immediately and its like we knew each other since we were gametes or I dont and any conversation is forced and uncomfortable. And that seems to have nothing to do with whether or not we have common interests. Now that I think of it I dont think Ive ever had a friend that was a fellow fish wierdo.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have people problems. Social interaction is difficult for me.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have time to really get involved with local reef clubs, etc. If I had more time available, I might. You learn a lot from people that way.

I used to go to the trade shows, but I just have no interest anymore. Nothing against the vendors who are there…they’re trying to promote their product. But after a while, it got old being talked down to by people who had 1/8th of the experience and almost none of the scientific education.

And most of the other science teachers in my department have almost no interest at all in the systems I have in my classroom, which it really baffling to me.

So I’m pretty alone in my reefing journey. Guess that’s why I come here.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4-5 forums :thinking-face: I didn’t even know there were that many. Im in another forum a lot but it has nothing to do with this hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back