What's your Preferred ICP test

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Triton in the past.

As well as I'll be sending in my second Oceamo ICP-MS in a few months. MS measures some parameters that are too low for OES to test accurately. Oceamo seems like the only one doing MS however I'm sure other companies will be jumping in soon. Since the trend now is to dial in our traces, more then likely MS testing will be the preferred test in the near future. IMO

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if the results are accurate on any of the available ICP companies. I think you just have to trust the company.

Upvote 0

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Triton, ICP-Analysis, and Fauna Marin, so far I like Fauna Marin the best. Their results are really easy to interpret and their references/explanations are easy to access and understand.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m sure several of them are good enough, I presently have the most confidence in Oceamo because Christoph’s posts at reef2reef indicate to me he knows what he is doing.

Upvote 0

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link that post please sir

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link that post please sir

He has made lots of posts in this forum, some giving data on icp errors and reproducibility. If you do a reef2reef search on the author Christoph you can see all his posts.

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something good about each vendor:
Triton: The least likely to report extremely small values that are actually inside their margin of error from zero/undetectable. Some people are annoyed that they report zeros/not detected when others give numbers, but this is actually commendable. I.e. the least low concentration noise.
ATI & FM : I like their price for the data quality they provide - most of the time.
ICP-Analysis: very cheap. Until you consider the hobbyist expense in time, effort and additional tests to find out a concerning test result was a false alarm. (Ok maybe I don't have something good to say about each vendor.)
Oceamo: Nobody has been as open with data or done more to demonstrate quality and expertise than Christoph. The higher price is well justified, IMO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef Wizard

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something good about each vendor:
Triton: The least likely to report extremely small values that are actually inside their margin of error from zero/undetectable. Some people are annoyed that they report zeros/not detected when others give numbers, but this is actually commendable. I.e. the least low concentration noise.
ATI & FM : I like their price for the data quality they provide - most of the time.
ICP-Analysis: very cheap. Until you consider the hobbyist expense in time, effort and additional tests to find out a concerning test result was a false alarm. (Ok maybe I don't have something good to say about each vendor.)
Oceamo: Nobody has been as open with data or done more to demonstrate quality and expertise than Christoph. The higher price is well justified, IMO.
Thank you for the run down on these ones this is nice to see

Upvote 0

Reefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used ATI, which I had no issues with and it has a good price point. However I recently decided to give the Moonshiners method a go, so I did their Oceamo MS test and I am switching to Oceamo now. I like the user interface a lot more and when paired with Reef Moonshiners, it gives me data I can use specifically for their method. According to ATI my iodine was too high, but Oceamo and Reef Moonshiners had me up it a bit.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. According to ATI my iodine was too high, but Oceamo and Reef Moonshiners had me up it a bit.

Did anything apparent happen after making that change?

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend ATI. These are the results they gave me for two rodi samples pulled from the same container of water. I'm not a chemist but the difference was enough to destroy any confidence I had in the tank water results. Everything not listed was undetectable. This is also the water I have been using for years and inverts and corals don't seem bothered by the critical copper levels lol. Hanna shows zero copper on tank water.
Screenshot_20240526-101431.png

Screenshot_20240526-101342.png

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is moonshiners same as Oceamo? I see theirs and googling oceamo it was in euros only and 100 dollars to ship to Germany

Moonshiners is a supplement company that believes Oceamo is a good testing company.

Oceamo is a testing company that is independent and located in a different country.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So moonshiners tests in same way as actual oceamo?

They do not test at all. They supply chemicals. They suggest companies to do the testing, such as Oceamo.

Upvote 0

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is moonshiners same as Oceamo? I see theirs and googling oceamo it was in euros only and 100 dollars to ship to Germany

Hello,
yes, the testkits that are offered by reef moonshiner are measured by us (Oceamo). As Randy stated reef moonshiner does not run a laboratory but offers our testkits in the US (and manages sample return to our lab).

all the best,
Christoph

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back