Whay a day!!!!!

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why is it that every single time we leave our tanks for a few days something bad happens? Well not all the time but most of the time. I have had my share of incidents myself. I am currently on my 2nd week of vacation away from my tank and has set up an IP camera to view the tank from time to time. So far everything is fine via my cameras view, crossing my fingers
I was away for 1 month in September with no issues (had a sitter but their tank experience was virtually zero). With Robert's help, we just returned from being gone 1 week and no issues. Therefore, you can do it. I agree to size reservoirs to be a small percentage of the volume of the aquarium. Same with the dosers; another reason not to use fully-saturated solutions IMO. Finally, don't have a drain on your skimmer while you are away unless it is a sealed unit that stops when full. Post-script: seal the bottom of your stand to hold the entire volume of your sump plus the ATO reservoir plus dosing pump volumes just in case something leaks.

Dave

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this Josh! I know its overkill for me right now (at least until I get my larger setup) but this is where a controller adds another layer of security. I currently have my Apex programmed to shut off the ATO if the pH goes over or below a certain level. Definitely helps in situations like this.

MikeyinTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 water flow sensors and a leak detector wired into the alarm on my last set up. One water flow was set up to send a trouble signal if there was flow (set up with the ATO) second one was set to send a trouble signal if the flow stopped. (Set up on the filter incase it died). Also had a water leak detector so if the tank sprung a leak or overflowed ect there would be a notification.

With looking into some new changes I plan to use a z-wave home automation to basically do the same thing and more. Plus with apart phones and everything you don't have to pay a monitoring company anymore!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back