Whelk snail identification

jeff williams

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2016
Messages
646
Reaction score
364
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought these guys a while back and had concerns with them being whelk snails. They were sold as nassarius snails. I’ve been loosing my trochus and cerith snails (finding empty Shells) Can anyone help I’d them ? They do have spots on there foot and trunk they also bury themselves in the sand. Melevs reef critter ID claims whelk do not bury themselves in the sand.

E863F906-AF8D-489A-9A12-333D6FB0F885.jpeg 46EB9378-0B05-423B-A2CC-90CFC42016FA.jpeg 43C5E464-B931-4C96-8D2A-C9850B9E2D3B.jpeg DD1BD10B-A90D-4496-8DA5-065505E60FD1.jpeg C3A85DC7-37F5-4745-9493-9BBED2611CF5.jpeg
 
They are definitely a nassarius snail, just not sure what species. If they don't get enough food, then they can become predatory.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new