Whelks in Nassarius shipments KY

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 4, 2020
Messages
1,946
Reaction score
1,251
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a warning to fellow reefers here in KY I’ve got nassarius from several stores over the past months and several times I’ve ended up with a whelk in there without knowing it till I got home. Every time they’ve been tiny, too tiny to tell hardly. Only the behavior and subsequent out of water inspection identified them as a whelk to me. PLEASE inspect everything you think is a nassarius before leaving the fish shop. The whelk has a trap door ON THE SHELL, the nassarius has one on the body. Also if they’re big enough the whelk trunk is tattoed.

https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/whelk-versus-nassarius
Thank you @SMSREEF for providing the article in an old page.
 
That’s a great tip. I will bolo these at my lfs for certain.!
 
That’s a great tip. I will bolo these at my lfs for certain.!
The ones I ended up with were so small it took me weeks to notice. Best way to tell for me is when they’re crawling all over the walls at the LFS tank. Nassarius will stay on the bottom. Whelks go looking for things to murder
 
Just a warning to fellow reefers here in KY I’ve got nassarius from several stores over the past months and several times I’ve ended up with a whelk in there without knowing it till I got home. Every time they’ve been tiny, too tiny to tell hardly. Only the behavior and subsequent out of water inspection identified them as a whelk to me. PLEASE inspect everything you think is a nassarius before leaving the fish shop. The whelk has a trap door ON THE SHELL, the nassarius has one on the body. Also if they’re big enough the whelk trunk is tattoed.

https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/whelk-versus-nassarius
Thank you @SMSREEF for providing the article in an old page.
Sooooooo, the the hard circle thing on the back of snail tails are only in Whelks?
 
Sooooooo, the the hard circle thing on the back of snail tails are only in Whelks?
No. The hard circle thing is on nassarius but it’s attached to the snails body or tail. On a whelk it’s part of the shell. Like if you poke it to get it to close you’ll see the door close once all the body is up in there. You won’t see the door on their tail. The tattoo helps but mine were so small I couldn’t see it. Whelks also have like a “bumpy” shell. It kinda looks like a cerith but with bumps all over it rather than the smooth nassarius shell.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new