When can I add fire shrimp?

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been cycling my tank for the past 3-4 weeks and never had an ugly phase. I added a pair of clowns yesterday. Is it safe to just add it now? Would also like to know what CuC you guys recommend to clean the sand.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and add a variety of snails as your ugly phase starts. You will experience a variety of ugly phases throughout the first year.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to go through a ugly stage in 3-4 weeks in fact I bet there is no algae whatsoever yet, because the tank is so new. Be patient and take thing slowly. You just adderd clowns yesterday, so wait at least a week before your next addition. You could add a fire shrimp.

For sand bed CUC, try nassarius snails, or conchs (please, please do your research on whats best for you and your tank). But DONT get then now. Wait till your sand bed is starting to get disgusting.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test the water for nitrates before adding anything else. There are a lot of unknowns with your tank from your post. Did you cycle with already mature live rock? 4 weeks is kinda short for a cycle from dry rock. I only ask because fire shrimp aren't cheap lol, and to avoid possibly killing an animal on accident.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to go through a ugly stage in 3-4 weeks in fact I bet there is no algae whatsoever yet, because the tank is so new. Be patient and take thing slowly. You just adderd clowns yesterday, so wait at least a week before your next addition. You could add a fire shrimp.

For sand bed CUC, try nassarius snails, or conchs (please, please do your research on whats best for you and your tank). But DONT get then now. Wait till your sand bed is starting to get disgusting.
Gotcha, I’m definitely going to wait and add things slow. Thanks.
I would test the water for nitrates before adding anything else. There are a lot of unknowns with your tank from your post. Did you cycle with already mature live rock? 4 weeks is kinda short for a cycle from dry rock. I only ask because fire shrimp aren't cheap lol, and to avoid possibly killing an animal on accident.
I used live sand and dry rock. Used Dr Tim’s one and only and the ammonia drops for a cycle. I followed the directions. My ammonia levels were 0 by 2nd week. I did a water change like the directions followed. My nitrates were high and started to drop after the water change. Was 75 when I did the water change and then it dropped to 52 and then went up slightly to 58 and started dropping about 10ppm a day. Yesterday I added fish and my nitrate was around 15. I’ll check the nitrates again in a few. My intentions are never to kill an animal which is why I’m here asking. Thanks.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add copepods now before the ugly phase or wait until the ugly phase?
Yes, they are a great thing to add right now. Just make sure to dose phyto. That'll really help their population flourish.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add some now to to start building up the population. Phyto can be added to feed them in the meantime before the uglies come

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%

Back