When can I add snails and Hermit Crabs?

Jubbilee555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my coworkers established reef tank a week ago. I'm having a brown algae/diatom problem so I'm assuming it's going through a mini cycle? There are some snails and hermit crabs currently that are trying their best but it's pretty unsightly.

I was wanting to add more invertebrates at some point anyway but now especially with the brown algae outbreak, can/should I add more now? Or should I just keep scrubbing it off and wait it out...

PS Feeding EOD, running a refugium, using tapwater that sits out for 1-2 days (I've read about ro/di and would consider in the future but not in the budget at the moment). I've also read about using either vinegar or vodka but there's sponge growing in the tank and as I understand it may have a negative effect on that? Tank currently has 2 tangs, 1 clown, 3 chromies, couple of cleaner shrimp, snails, hermies and a few lps corals.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water maybe the cause of the algea growth in the tank. Tap water contains nitrates and phosphates not to mention other stuff.

I recommend a product like Prime. It will make the water safe and remove chloramines as well as chlorine. The sun won’t remove chloramines from the water.

I understand the budget issue. I had the constraints setting up my first tank. It is really worth saving for one or finding a used one.
What are your ammonia, nitrite and salinity numbers. This will tell if you can add more cuc. Also what is your stocking list.

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand of using tap water. I had to use tap water cor 2 months back in november and 6 months later barely gwtting algae under control. I got an rodi unti first time in feburary. Before i had the rodi unit i was abke to afford to get my water from a water station in the grocery store. If you have tjat option you might try that till you can get an rodi unit. If you fish dont look skinny and starving you can stop feeding to let the algae consume what nutrients ia in the tank. Water change might help. Best of luck dont give up

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my coworkers established reef tank a week ago. I'm having a brown algae/diatom problem so I'm assuming it's going through a mini cycle? There are some snails and hermit crabs currently that are trying their best but it's pretty unsightly.

I was wanting to add more invertebrates at some point anyway but now especially with the brown algae outbreak, can/should I add more now? Or should I just keep scrubbing it off and wait it out...

PS Feeding EOD, running a refugium, using tapwater that sits out for 1-2 days (I've read about ro/di and would consider in the future but not in the budget at the moment). I've also read about using either vinegar or vodka but there's sponge growing in the tank and as I understand it may have a negative effect on that? Tank currently has 2 tangs, 1 clown, 3 chromies, couple of cleaner shrimp, snails, hermies and a few lps corals.

Tap water will generally lead to premature nasty algae outbreaks and possibly has stuff in it that is harmful to fish and corals. If the RODI system isn't currently feasible, you could check and see if you could buy it pre-mixed (RODI/Saltwater) from your LFS (Local Fish Store) as most sell it.

OP
OP
Jubbilee555

Jubbilee555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into one of the lower end rodi systems on Amazon (around$100 CAD) which i know isn't the best but should be better than tap at least.

I had my water tested at my LFS and everything is normal except for slightly increased nitrates. Do i need to wait until everything is normal before i add more snails or hermies??

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into one of the lower end rodi systems on Amazon (around$100 CAD) which i know isn't the best but should be better than tap at least.

I had my water tested at my LFS and everything is normal except for slightly increased nitrates. Do i need to wait until everything is normal before i add more snails or hermies??

$100 dollar one good if it comes with blader tank buy that one. Also all rodi will not last more than 3-5 years need to have SOFTNER in home too much $$$. So go for $100 filter, when you can . I use tap, no copper in my home. Aerate 1-2 days fine.

OP
OP
Jubbilee555

Jubbilee555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$100 dollar one good if it comes with blader tank buy that one. Also all rodi will not last more than 3-5 years need to have SOFTNER in home too much $$$. So go for $100 filter, when you can . I use tap, no copper in my home. Aerate 1-2 days fine.

Ahhh okay that was actually a question i would have asked eventually was about the need for aeration or not with the rodi water

Back