When do you feed your corals?

Lazysavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The school tank is a Biocube 16 I only feed weekly before water changes. The clean up crew is good and when I am away the nitrates rise as my boss feeds the fish. But I have good growth and nutrients stay low with a weekly 5g water change.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you know your corals need to eat but you don’t feed them directly, every coral head polyp has a mouth and needs to be fed!,
I really don’t understand why people that don’t feed their corals are even responding to a thread about how to feed corals.

I never used to feed corals until I realised that light (sugar), nitrates, phosphate + fish turds (ever seen a coral catch and eat fish turds?!) is like a human only eating bread. You can live on bread but it’s not optimal. Now that I feed my corals I’m understanding why the hobby is moving in that direction.

I target feed Red Sea AB+ with fish flakes once a week and broadcast feed just the liquid once a week. I also soak my frozen mysis in the AB+ as a nutrient booster for my fish. Been doing this a few weeks now and my corals (mostly Euphyllia) are noticeably happier with larger polyps and better colour.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice a week I target feed reef roids

myakuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
target feeding deff makes a difference in my experience, the tenticles on my bower wont come out unless i target feed
3EA38D2B-C4C8-47E5-A91B-CC2FEDA3295D_1_105_c.jpeg

wmwesty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without fail, corals must be fed, just as important as feeding your fish, every polyp every head has a mouth so obviously needs to eat

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed Red Sea AB+ with fish flakes once a week and broadcast feed just the liquid once a week. I also soak my frozen mysis in the AB+ as a nutrient booster for my fish. Been doing this a few weeks now and my corals (mostly Euphyllia) are noticeably happier with larger polyps and better colour.
I soak ReefRoids in the RedSea AB+ and target feed mushrooms and laptastrea with it, then broadcast what is left over. Glad to see someone else is doing it too.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use benereef and reef roids sometimes. I alternate sometimes in the morning and night. Broadcast beneref target feed reef roids. Plus aminos with either one.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak ReefRoids in the RedSea AB+ and target feed mushrooms and laptastrea with it, then broadcast what is left over. Glad to see someone else is doing it too.
I’m going to try Reef Revolution Polyp Feast coral food (Aussie brand version of Polyp Lab) and mix that with the RS AB+ So will be basically identical to what you are doing. That will be better than flakes I’m sure!

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my homemade food right after i feed myself, so 3 times per day. Sometimes i feed one last cube @9:30pm, usually when i am trying to increase my N and P readings like I am doing this week.

Most of the fish already now when feeding time is, and the corals will just adjust to to a steady routine.

when i was travelling i was auto feeding from my cooler using a venturi system.

OP
OP
showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video that showed to make the reef roids more of a paste and tried that and saw a huge difference in the reaction of my corals! They loved it!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my acans and duncans twice a week, which is usually when they extend their sweeper tentacles fully. They have a great feeding response to being fed bits of chunky food (in this case, pieces of raw, grocery store shrimp), and seem to enjoy it, so why deprive them? I save the Reef Roids for the leathers and my xenia.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back