When does it become "work"?

FishWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had the 29g biocube for almost 2 years now enjoy the hobby. Sooner or later I'd like to upgrade to a larger system. That said, the biocube is pretty much maintenance free...less than a minute daily dosing, feeding, and dumping out the skimmer cup and bi-monthly water changes and equipment maintenance which doesn't take too long (and the 15 year old does most of it). How much more work is a 60g cube with a sump below it? (or something else around that size) :eek:oh:

Lately I've noticed several reefers downgrading so they can enjoy the hobby again....

I know any upgrade will mean an increase in costs, both in time and $$. I just want the right balance so I can still enjoy and not feel like it's a chore to keep up with it.

Last edited:

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only went from a biocube 14 to a deep blue 30 rimless shallow tank. But with the sump it seems easier to do anything. And not having the lid to move every time. I also just keep it very simple tho. Never dosed anythjng untill the other day and I still have to do a lot more research. But everything I like grows fine also. The way I see it it's as simple as you make it. Although I am still very new to the hobby.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 2 part answer
a) If your husbandry is good already then and upgrade should not be a problem maintenance wise. actually a larger system will be more stable
b) Cost is where it will differ, everything on a larger scale just costs more.

chriskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be in my . Own here but "if" you have the correct equipment for the system maintenance should really never be a problem.my system is 400 gallons I neglected it for 6 months and it cost me a few dollars realistically it takes me an hour a week tops. everything enjoyable in life takes work.

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be in my . Own here but "if" you have the correct equipment for the system maintenance should really never be a problem.my system is 400 gallons I neglected it for 6 months and it cost me a few dollars realistically it takes me an hour a week tops. everything enjoyable in life takes work.

I don't think there could be a better answer !

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say cost is really the only thing that goes up with size. But even that is really mostly initial cost. I barely do anything to my tank other than ensuring that the auto pilot is doing his job. I think I spend more time making frags than anything.

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating this right now. I have always had a 75 gallon mixed reef for 6 years. Never found maintenance to be bad but I had my dosing automated and just did monthly water changes
I recently moved and purchased a 105 gallon rimless. Along with all new equiptment tunze 6095, mp40 , 6 bulb ati Powermodule etc.

With some life changes I am now contemplating a downgrade for easier maintenance and i havent even filled the 105 with water yet!

The downside to a smaller tank is you can only keep certain fish (I love tangs) and I will probably run out of room quick and wish I stick with the 105. This hobby always has you thinking.

Decisions decisions!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never wished for a smaller tank. I'd love to do a 400g or bigger system, but I'd really need to get rid of most of what I have going on now.

But I did come up with another great answer to this question... It becomes work, when the time comes to post up a build thread.

brutuscz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 90 for years, it was fun. I upgraded to a 150gal...it became work. I sold that tank when I moved 8yrs ago. Set up my 90 in my current house...much easier.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never wished for a smaller tank. I'd love to do a 400g or bigger system, but I'd really need to get rid of most of what I have going on now.

But I did come up with another great answer to this question... It becomes work, when the time comes to post up a build thread.
+1 I run a dual nano with a shared 55 sump and before that a 29 with 29 sump. Both setups the hardest work I had to do was take pics and update my build thread

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in a similar situation. I've got a nanocube which has been fairly easy to keep up. The things I like are the lid on top which reduces evaporation and salt creep, I use a filter pad in the back to catch the big stuff, and the skimmer is easy to get to. Its biggest drawback is the limits on livestock. I agree with you that the 60 cube is a nice size to jump up to, its big enough to stuff more things into yet at 2 feet its easy to find a place for it, real nice if more move around a lot. I'm in the process of jumping up to a 65G with a 40 sump tank. The question that I have is what would be the setup that keeps upkeep easy and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Right now I'm pretty content with soft corals. Any ideas?

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's work everyday ,, but it's what we receive in exchange for the work is what's worth it,,the beauty that we are able to admire , in the comfort of our home is what it's all about. !

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in a similar situation. I've got a nanocube which has been fairly easy to keep up. The things I like are the lid on top which reduces evaporation and salt creep, I use a filter pad in the back to catch the big stuff, and the skimmer is easy to get to. Its biggest drawback is the limits on livestock. I agree with you that the 60 cube is a nice size to jump up to, its big enough to stuff more things into yet at 2 feet its easy to find a place for it, real nice if more move around a lot. I'm in the process of jumping up to a 65G with a 40 sump tank. The question that I have is what would be the setup that keeps upkeep easy and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Right now I'm pretty content with soft corals. Any ideas?
IMHO to keep the maintenance down get as big of a skimmer as you can. Over skim. On my 29 I had a 65 gallon skimmer and on my 27 and 30 I have a reef octopus 125. Nutrient export but that's just my opinion

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously did something seriously wrong with mine. I can tell if I didn't do one water change. I do them weekly still have nitrates fighting algea all the time.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously did something seriously wrong with mine. I can tell if I didn't do one water change. I do them weekly still have nitrates fighting algea all the time.
What kind of filtration do you have?

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had the 29g biocube for almost 2 years now enjoy the hobby. Sooner or later I'd like to upgrade to a larger system. That said, the biocube is pretty much maintenance free...less than a minute daily dosing, feeding, and dumping out the skimmer cup and bi-monthly water changes and equipment maintenance which doesn't take too long (and the 15 year old does most of it). How much more work is a 60g cube with a sump below it? (or something else around that size) :eek:oh:

Lately I've noticed several reefers downgrading so they can enjoy the hobby again....

I know any upgrade will mean an increase in costs, both in time and $$. I just want the right balance so I can still enjoy and not feel like it's a chore to keep up with it.
I know this is an older thread but wanted to put my .02 cents in on my experience for others who may be on the fence of how much larger can I go without being a full time job. I started with a 12gal had two 75's and now my 150gal dt with a sump/filtration room. In my experience all were about the same maintenance schedule. Every Saturday morning clean skimmer cup clean algae turf scrubber as of recently and change filter sock. Through the week I enjoy and feed. That's it. Occasionally I do a water change. I have learned to set-up my system for ease of access to equipment and simplicity as to not burden myself with maintenance all week long. I can walk away from my tank for a week if needed only having to use a auto feeder and it will run on its own no problem. It took me years to accomplish this but with everything in this hobby patients is key. I could have set it upnover night this way and so can any of you. I personally waited and shopped around for the best deals I could find on equipment. Having a good controller good equipment and a system that runs flawlessly even if there are power outages you want it to start up on its own smoothly and with out your help. I used to run reactors and such but don't anymore as I don't have the time to constantly tweak keep up with them. When I'm retired and have more time it is an option I could explore. So in hind sight you can go as large as you want. You just have to make the system work for you and your time allowance to keep everything in check. Hope this helps, happy reefing!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back