when is my nano ready for corals

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One plus to Xenia invasiveness is that it sells for much more than it’s worth. I put mine on the rock so that it can spread and I take some to the lfs every time I go to get some store credit (which means more corals).
For a first euphillia I would suggest frogspawn. They tend to be the hardiest variety. Hammers are hit or miss (wall is hard, branching is supposed to be easier). Torch is good but often difficult.
I've been growing out my xenia and somewhat fragging it but then letting it attach itself to different rocks in the tank so it spreads. I've got a colony that about 8" in diameter right now? Even though its a hardy easy coral im still proud its growing so much :) i need to ask my LFS about bringing in frags for store credit, I believe they do, because i once asked to sell them some baby margarita snails and they said we should be able to work smth out.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are hosting my torch. I’m not happy about it as clowns tend to hurt corals when they host it, torches more than others.
If you want a clown host m, get a frog.
Both look great with clowns, I just can’t stop stressing about my torch, frogs take abuse better.
I personally like the look of torches better (got me into corals), but frogs are a much hardier coral.
Both are similarly priced, a single head is about $60 usually for either. Nicer colors go up in price.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in every coral in the bottom center of the tank. Torch, GSP, but they seem to REALLY love the duncan in the sandbed I don't know why
Seems like clowns prefer duncans. I think it is because they aren’t as easily irritated.
It’s taken a while for my torch to not close up instantly when the clowns touch it. It was really closing up and looking bad then. They have slowed down with it too (I think it stung them too much). It is doing much better now and much more open (now double headed and both of those are starting to split).

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like clowns prefer duncans. I think it is because they aren’t as easily irritated.
It’s taken a while for my torch to not close up instantly when the clowns touch it. It was really closing up and looking bad then. They have slowed down with it too (I think it stung them too much). It is doing much better now and much more open (now double headed and both of those are starting to split).
my duncan used to close whenever they touched it but its much more tolerant and doesnt close now. it seems like it packs a powerful sting though, they would always have black spots on them.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some great beginner corals I would recommend:
- GSP
- Any zoas
- Xenia is nice but it can become quite invasive. But if you're new to coral sometimes it nice to know something is growing quickly :)
- Discosoma mushrooms.
-Some hammer corals are pretty hardy, but I would personally just stick with softies.
My first corals were GSP, mushroom, duncan, candy canes and a torch. One died recently and the torch has been very small for the past few months.
Pointing up.gif

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are incredibly hardy from my experience as well. Great beginner coral and is cool to watch it feed. Easier zoa morphs like eagle eyes/radioactive dragon whatever’s usually do very well too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back