when is my nano ready for corals

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20-gallon nano tank I have 2 ocellaris and a firefish I recently scrubbed my rock for algae and it hasn't grow back I was wondering if this could mean my tank is ready for some hardy corals I've had the tank for around 3.5 months had the algae outbreaks diatoms, cyano, hair algae so I'm positive that was the ugly stage and not it looks a lot better and I've heard Coraline algae can sometimes take a long time even after its ready for corals so i was going to introduce coraline this week via live rock and see if it starts to bloom I was wondering how long it takes for it to start spreading and I was wondering if it's ready for some hardy corals. I was wondering when it would be ready for LPS I was thinking I could try them like 2-4 weeks after my first corals is that a good time? Its been cycled for like 2 months so I'm wondering if its ready thanks!

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp is a great first coral. Bulletproof, grows fast and it's pretty. It's cheap too. Just remember that it will spread, so you may want to keep it on an island away from the main rock.

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20-gallon nano tank I have 2 ocellaris and a firefish I recently scrubbed my rock for algae and it hasn't grow back I was wondering if this could mean my tank is ready for some hardy corals I've had the tank for around 3.5 months had the algae outbreaks diatoms, cyano, hair algae so I'm positive that was the ugly stage and not it looks a lot better and I've heard Coraline algae can sometimes take a long time even after its ready for corals so i was going to introduce coraline this week via live rock and see if it starts to bloom I was wondering how long it takes for it to start spreading and I was wondering if it's ready for some hardy corals. I was wondering when it would be ready for LPS I was thinking I could try them like 2-4 weeks after my first corals is that a good time? Its been cycled for like 2 months so I'm wondering if its ready thanks!

Reef Builders have proved its immediately.
However, your life will be easier if you wait until after the ugly phase.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Builders have proved its immediately.
However, your life will be easier if you wait until after the ugly phase.
i got a palyzoa and a zoa frag and the paly is doing great producing polyps etc but the zoa didn't even open up and I got covered with algae I've had them for around a week to 2 weeks and the zoas are still closed :( idk if they are dead or something and I was wondering what is the best way to reduce pollutants other than a WC

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first leather 3 weeks in. First lps (Aussie torch - not the best first lps but I was feeling risky) 3 months. You should be good to start.
Good starter softies are leather, zoas, gsp, and Xenia.
Good starter lps are favia and trumpet.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first leather 3 weeks in. First lps (Aussie torch - not the best first lps but I was feeling risky) 3 months. You should be good to start.
Good starter softies are leather, zoas, gsp, and Xenia.
Good starter lps are favia and trumpet.
what are good ways to remove waste other than a WC

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are good ways to remove waste other than a WC
Macro and corals do pull nutrients from water, but it isn’t something to rush into. Sand sifting inverts and fish help to keep detritus from settling.
Protein Skimmers also help to remove waste.
At the end of the day, Water changes really are the best and most efficient/effective way of removing waste.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive had my palyzoa for like 2 weeks think it might be good to try to add some more and my palyzoa is doing great and growing what should I try for the next one btw I have a 20 gal what corals should I try and is there any real limits for corals i can add except for space

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some great beginner corals I would recommend:
- GSP
- Any zoas
- Xenia is nice but it can become quite invasive. But if you're new to coral sometimes it nice to know something is growing quickly :)
- Discosoma mushrooms.
-Some hammer corals are pretty hardy, but I would personally just stick with softies.
My first corals were GSP, mushroom, duncan, candy canes and a torch. One died recently and the torch has been very small for the past few months.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive had my palyzoa for like 2 weeks think it might be good to try to add some more and my palyzoa is doing great and growing what should I try for the next one btw I have a 20 gal what corals should I try and is there any real limits for corals i can add except for space
ive had my tank for 3 months and 11 days you do think its ready for lps??
what type LPS are you thinking? What is the flow like in the tank?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some great beginner corals I would recommend:
- GSP
- Any zoas
- Xenia is nice but it can become quite invasive. But if you're new to coral sometimes it nice to know something is growing quickly :)
- Discosoma mushrooms.
-Some hammer corals are pretty hardy, but I would personally just stick with softies.
My first corals were GSP, mushroom, duncan, candy canes and a torch. One died recently and the torch has been very small for the past few months.
One plus to Xenia invasiveness is that it sells for much more than it’s worth. I put mine on the rock so that it can spread and I take some to the lfs every time I go to get some store credit (which means more corals).
For a first euphillia I would suggest frogspawn. They tend to be the hardiest variety. Hammers are hit or miss (wall is hard, branching is supposed to be easier). Torch is good but often difficult.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the flow is what the water box has the base nozzle I'm thinking of getting a better flow kit though I was thinking something like a torch and some basic lps nothing advanced

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One plus to Xenia invasiveness is that it sells for much more than it’s worth. I put mine on the rock so that it can spread and I take some to the lfs every time I go to get some store credit (which means more corals).
For a first euphillia I would suggest frogspawn. They tend to be the hardiest variety. Hammers are hit or miss (wall is hard, branching is supposed to be easier). Torch is good but often difficult.
i was thinking torch or frogspawn what do you think would be cheaper probably the frogspawn right idk though what would be better looking

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back