When is the correct time to switch to a calcium reactor

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is essentially the title however I feel like more information is required for any kind of answer that isn’t general.

My tank is 84”x30”x24” and I am planning a mixed reef with softies and LPS making up about 80% of my coral stocking and SPS for the remaining 20%. I am planning to dose BRS’s pharma balling method which costs around $200 for the whole package. It’s just over $200 to buy everything separately when replacements are needed and $40 for individual 7lb bags of material. CA, Alk, Mg. So when would be the right time where looking into a calcium reactor would be more beneficial and justify the cost of entry (which can be $900+ for just the reactor) ?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your demand is moderate (0.5-1dKH per day), a gallon of each is only going to last about 2 weeks. This will leave you with recurring dosing costs about $30 a month.

A calcium reactors recurring costs are about 50% compared to 2 part IME.

So really depends on your demand, and how soon you want to break even on your investment. At moderate demand, it saves about $200 a year for your sized tank. More like $300-400 for very high demand tanks with tons of SPS.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your demand is moderate (0.5-1dKH per day), a gallon of each is only going to last about 2 weeks. This will leave you with recurring dosing costs about $30 a month.

A calcium reactors recurring costs are about 50% compared to 2 part IME.

So really depends on your demand, and how soon you want to break even on your investment. At moderate demand, it saves about $200 a year for your sized tank. More like $300-400 for very high demand tanks with tons of SPS.
Thank you for this. Reaching that point now, where a gallon of 2 part is only lasting 2 weeks.

Been thinking about going reactor route, just haven't sat down to crunch the numbers.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Thank you for this. Reaching that point now, where a gallon of 2 part is only lasting 2 weeks.

Been thinking about going reactor route, just haven't sat down to crunch the numbers.
Making the switch from 2part dosing to Calcium reactor was when 80ml-150ml a day was just too much.

I think the trade off will pay off dividends as far as how your corals thank you. With a calcium reactor you really get that stability that so many people talk about. In return those corals will start growing more. We've noticed a big diff

I think ultimately it's up to you when finances are available as the initial cost can be as low as $600 if you don't go with the high tech Carbon doser, Dual chamber Calcium reactors.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
-When youre sick of manually dosing
- When corals start to show daily demand
- When alk is not stable
- When youre getting sudden changes in Ph levels
- If calcium ions are unstable

CA reactors are like having a cruise control for alk and calcium which work together

OP
OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the switch from 2part dosing to Calcium reactor was when 80ml-150ml a day was just too much.

I think the trade off will pay off dividends as far as how your corals thank you. With a calcium reactor you really get that stability that so many people talk about. In return those corals will start growing more. We've noticed a big diff

I think ultimately it's up to you when finances are available as the initial cost can be as low as $600 if you don't go with the high tech Carbon doser, Dual chamber Calcium reactors.
The price has definitely been a big factor for me. It’s just hard to justify spending that much money in one go but I feel like looking at the big picture of savings over initial cost is what will get me to go that route when the time comes!

OP
OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-When youre sick of manually dosing
- When corals start to show daily demand
- When alk is not stable
- When youre getting sudden changes in Ph levels
- If calcium ions are unstable

CA reactors are like having a cruise control for alk and calcium which work together
I’m sure that there will come a time when I get tired of mixing all of the solutions together! The idea of cruise control for that kind of stuff is definitely appealing!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m sure that there will come a time when I get tired of mixing all of the solutions together! The idea of cruise control for that kind of stuff is definitely appealing!
You can go basic or deluxe.
This is mine:
1654463797583.png

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also plan on a Controller. The Cheapest one is by Pinpoint Marine. Be aware there is a difference between the “Pinpoint Monitor,” and the “Pinpoint Controller.”

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price has definitely been a big factor for me. It’s just hard to justify spending that much money in one go but I feel like looking at the big picture of savings over initial cost is what will get me to go that route when the time comes!
Look for used. Many can be found in reefing classifieds. I found one in my local club for $50. On Amazon, I found a dual stage gauge for $75 at a used equiptment store for medical field. Just had to replace the stem.

OP
OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go basic or deluxe.
This is mine:
1654463797583.png
That’s a pretty nice setup! All those tubes and stuff look a bit intimidating but I thought the same about my Rodi unit until I got it and installed it in 10 minutes lol. I figure most of that stuff nowadays is plug and play to an extent and pretty self explanatory! Also I’ve been following along on your build thread and I hope that your move goes well! I live in Tallahassee and regularly make the drive down to Orlando for WWC, Top shelf and living reef! Kind of insane the amount of top tier LFS’s in that area so hopefully you like it down here!

OP
OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for used. Many can be found in reefing classifieds. I found one in my local club for $50. On Amazon, I found a dual stage gauge for $75 at a used equiptment store for medical field. Just had to replace the stem.
That’s definitely good advice! Unfortunately, I live in Tallahassee and as far as I’m aware, there are no clubs and not a whole lot of people nearby that are reefers or into aquariums in general! I typically have to go to Jacksonville or Orlando for anything but I’ll definitely keep an eye out for when the time comes and maybe be able to snag one when I’m already there for something!

OP
OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own. A good diy video was posted by Greg hiller on this site recently.
I’ll have to check that out! I gotta be honest I’m not very good when it comes to DIY stuff but I’m always down to give stuff a try at least! Even if it doesn’t work out for me in the end!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that your time has value too. Not needing to mix and refill containers all of the time is worth the cost of entry for me. Yes the initial cost can be high but the simplicity and stability has its own value that some other methods simply can not offer.

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into a Kalk Stirrer? Kalk is dirt cheap and the stirrer from Avast Marine is just over 200 bucks. Unless you have or are planning on having a high demand tank...take a look. Only downside of a Kalk Stirrer is if your evaporation rate is too low to accommodate the Kalk dosing needs or if your Alk and Ca uptake is more than your kalk stirrer can put out (see point 1)

OP
OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that you time has value too. Not needing to mix and refill containers all of the time is worth the cost of entry for me. Yes the initial cost can be high but the simplicity and stability has its own value that some other methods simply can not offer.
That is definitely an upside for sure! Is it even worth it to consider making the investment on a new/ low demand system? Most of the time when I’ve seen them, it’s been on higher demand more well established tanks! I already have all of my dosing items on hand and my current plan is to utilize that up until the point where the dosing needs become ridiculous (whenever that might be if at all). But would it be worth it to think about it earlier than that or just to wait until that point?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back